Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone painted their frame and/or underside with POR-15? I have been looking at it for my YJ. I was curious about whether it does everything they say it does. Surely someone has used it in our community.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I'd like to do the same thing. The years are catching up with my Jeep and it needs some protection.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Used it on a couple of TJ's, works well but you will want to top coat it, no UV protection. Topcoating it will make it even better.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RICHP, Do you remember how much you used on the TJ's? I was wondering if I bought a quart of each (first coat and UV protectant) would be enough?

My frame needs freshened up. They advertise the hell out of this stuff. I was just after some input from someone who really used it.

I am going to try it out. I will add it to my to do list.

As always thanks for the input. Someone will always come through on WF.

·
Registered
547 Posts
what is this por-15? i was thinking that i want to take everything apart down there and put some type of rhino lining material on it. Feasible?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Dont use Rhino on your frame.

I worked in a Restoration shop, used POR15(Paint over Rust 15) and rhino lined trucks for extra income. Rhino is a good product, but it wont last on a frame. It WILL tear off.

Never por-15 a jeep before, but I did do a few datsuns, vw etc. Its not horribly complicated, but it is time consuming. Also, the outcome is based on how good you are w/ a paintbrush. To do it right, your gonna want to strip the jeep (tub off). The outcome is worth it though. It does what it says, and its darn durable (Wear Gloves! :eek:) They make regular steel (black), silver aluminum, then different colors for steel, such as silver (for old brake lines etc.) and custom colors. We POR15d a datsuns engine block the same color as the car. Ask Penguin_in_a_cj how well that one turned out :D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
RICHP, Do you remember how much you used on the TJ's? I was wondering if I bought a quart of each (first coat and UV protectant) would be enough?

My frame needs freshened up. They advertise the hell out of this stuff. I was just after some input from someone who really used it.

I am going to try it out. I will add it to my to do list.

As always thanks for the input. Someone will always come through on WF.
Bought 3 quarts, pretty much used all of it. True about the tub off though, makes for a much neater job. Though a 12 inch body lift might suffice :D Use treated lumber or a couple of old gym sets and some comealongs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts