Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one used por 15 I have a set of bumpers I was thing about using por 15 and wanted to know what you guys think about it

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Por 15 doesnt last in areas that are exposed to the sun. So bumpers would prob be a bad idea.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
They make a uv coating to apply over it I think...but I don't know how long that coating is good for either. Never used it myself...with or without the uv coating.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just treated my bumpers to a a cleaning. Then scuffed em. Gave em a bath in Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer then a shower of Rustoleum Hammered Black and finally a mist of Rustoleum Clear Enamel

those bumpers were from a 1995 wrangler. They suffered very minimal rust but were faded in color.

just prep them correctly, hit them with rustoleum products and finish with a clear coat.
its a small project with big results

P.S. Do the gas tank skid also. It will stick out like a sore thumb once the bumpers are painted new

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
sand them / wire wheel, something to scuff off most of the surface rust, then prime them with rustoleum rusty metal primer, then I top coated them with rustoleum bedliner. its tough, a nice flat black, and if you scratch it, a quick retouch is real easy.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
POR15 is more heavy duty, almost metal repair... I just did my frame in it. It is a very time intensive product and very $$$... my $15 bumper paint job is still going strong 2 years and 2 new england salty winters.

1 can primer and 2 cans bed liner and sand paper: ~$15

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
very $$$? I don't think so considering its a one time job. 50 bucks for 6 cans and you can do your whole frame and axles is cheaper than spray bomb. Anyway to the OP, if you topcoat it (they make it in a spray can now) the POR will last forever. I have used it for years. On another note, I tried Rust Bullet on a frame a month ago and it sucks, looks like crap compared to POR15

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peepers said:
POR15 is more heavy duty, almost metal repair... I just did my frame in it. It is a very time intensive product and very $$$... my $15 bumper paint job is still going strong 2 years and 2 new england salty winters.

1 can primer and 2 cans bed liner and sand paper: ~$15
Did you us the spray paint or brush

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
The bumper was spray cans. 1 coat primer and 2 of bed liner.

I brushed the por15 on.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks alot guys I'm still thinking I'm going to go with the por 15 but I still need to sand the bumpers down a little more

1 - 12 of 12 Posts