Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get to go out about once a month and I would like to start airing down. I would love a complete on board air system but I can't spend that much money.

Which compact air compressor work best of you. Enough to fill some 35's with ease. I don't need it to be race pit fast. But something that will work.

A see Quadratec has supper reflow system and there is a VIAIR system. Which one has worked good for you?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I get to go out about once a month and I would like to start airing down. I would love a complete on board air system but I can't spend that much money.

Which compact air compressor work best of you. Enough to fill some 35's with ease. I don't need it to be race pit fast. But something that will work.

A see Quadratec has supper reflow system and there is a VIAIR system. Which one has worked good for you?
I got an ARB (love it) but it seems lots of folks on the forum use VIAIR and I've read plenty of positive things on here about them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a VIAIR 400P, portable one.. I bought it 3 yrs ago and it's works fine..
I have 34's.. I don't recall the specs on it... I spent about $200 on it.
for a portable unit I would recommend VIAIR...

I will add I want to eventually do On board air,, probably ARB.. not that the VIAIR doesn't work,,, just to have OBA.. I guess.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a Smitty Bilt 2781 ($150). It has a 40 minute duty cycle, and pushes 5.6 cubic feet per minute of air. There are several other members in one of the clubs I belong to who have the same compressor. They work great, however, they do get hot after airing up 4 tires.

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a Smitty Bilt 2781 ($150). It has a 40 minute duty cycle, and pushes 5.6 cubic feet per minute of air. There are several other members in one of the clubs I belong to who have the same compressor. They work great, however, they do get hot after airing up 4 tires.
I run this one too. Price was good and it's fast, which is nice. A trick for this and others if the air hose is long enough is to put the pump in the passenger footwell and turn the ac to the footwell a on high. It helps keep the compressors a little cooler.

A downside with this compressor is that it's big... To big to mount under the hood. I may switch to something like the viair 400p automatic to mount as oba at some point, but until then, the smitty is working fine.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Had a 400p while running stock tires. Used it a few times filling the 35's and immediately looked for something else. You will be awhile. Few people out on the trails still use them to fill their 35's to a decent pressure then stop at a gas station to fill up the remainder of the tire.

My recommendation is to save your money a few more weeks/months and get the ARB twin compressor. Man this thing can fill up tires quickly. I have a Warn Power Plant and 37's, a wheeling buddy has 37's and the ARB unit. He beats me done every time but at least one tire and sometimes two. You say speed is not a concern now but when you are out on the trail and its cold and or rainy your priorities will change in a hurry. Last thing you want to be doing is standing out there waiting 6 minutes per tire to fill.

Oh, not all owners have this problem but the ones who mount stuff under the hood have experienced heat related problems with their compressors. Might be a desert related thing due to the extra heat we have.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a VIAIR. The unit itself is pretty good and fills my tires quickly. BUT, the hose is a POS and the air chuck thingy. I went to home depot and replaced it with a longer better hose and attached an ARB blow gun. I think that's the best portable solution.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have read the same reviews over and over but for the price and use I will get out of it, I think I'm going with this one.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I ran the MV50 for years in my TJ and used it all the time either airing up the Jeep tires after wheeling or airing up my riding mower's tires. I never had problems with it overheating or taking too long to air up the 35s on the TJ.
Unfortunately, it went with the TJ when I traded it in. I had to get another one for my YJ and now I plan on getting ANOTHER one for my JKR. I think they're great little compressors especially when coupled to a 3 or so gallon air tank to supplement the air supply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts