Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm not sure what to look for on a portable compressor but mine appears to be built well. I've only used it once and it made short the time it took to air up my spare when I had a flat in the middle of a snow storm in rush hour traffic. I'm not sure what to expect for the money. Viair makes more expensive one if you want to spend the money.

Oh by the way! Everyone should check the air pressure in their spare tire every once in while. I bought my Jeep last October and found out the spare only had 19 p.s.i. in it when I had a flat. I'm surely glad I had that compressor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
+1 for Viair. I bought the 450P and swap it from vehicle to vehicle whenever I leave town. I've used it a dozen times on my Jeep to air back up when I get back to pavement. The included coiled air hose is plenty long enough to reach all 4 tires of my JKUR after connecting it to the battery.

I'd also recommend the ARB EZ Deflator for ease of airing down. I got both compresser and deflator from Amazon.com

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Viair 400P here very happy with it and use it allot. We also use a small nitrogen bottle....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bought a Kobalt 12v/110v compressor back in '14 when we got the Cherokee and it has worked well for us so it is now on the JKU. Comes with a pressure gauge and you can set the max pressure. There is also a spot to store the valve caps so you don't lose the darned things. You do need a 12v extension cord as the one that came with it is a bit short to reach the rear wheels. Also carry a Smittybuilt repair kit, just in case. - Ted

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I'm also looking to get a compressor, but what about those co2 bottle used for soda carbonation? I can get one "free" from work.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Viair 400P here very happy with it and use it on all the tires at home and many friends when wheeling.
It has an automatic shut off and restarts when put on the next tire.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I recently purchased a slime 2x tire inflator, $68 at menards. Honestly not sure how long it will last as it is a cheaper pump, but it fills the tires fairly quickly. Just for a test run I aired down all 4 tires to 15 then filled them back to 35 didn't take very long under 5 min per tire and the pump barely got warm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You would need a 5000 watt inverter. They go for around $500.

Which is cheaper now?
Why wouldn't you use the stock power inverter that comes with the JK sahara and rubicon? I ask because I ordered the backcountry edition that comes standard with also and am looking for a portable pump option as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why wouldn't you use the stock power inverter that comes with the JK sahara and rubicon? I ask because I ordered the backcountry edition that comes standard with also and am looking for a portable pump option as well.
It's a 150W power inverter and will run a laptop or phone charger at most.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
I'm also looking to get a compressor, but what about those co2 bottle used for soda carbonation? I can get one "free" from work.
Absolutely, it's what I used always. I have a ViAir 400 compressor that I throw in back all the time in case I run out of compressed CO2 or the valve doesn't work or something. But I've been airing up for about a half-year I guess with CO2 and haven't run out of it yet. Haven't counted but probably 28 stockish-sized tires. It is a lot quicker and easier than the compressor. But that said, the ViAir 400/450 is a great little portable if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
TKS NoGaBiker...........I'll go that route, plus when airing down, aren't we usually with other that have compressed air? Are you in HDForums by any chance?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts