Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Posers gonna Pose brah.

If you are gonna buy a car to shine on the Jones', might as well make it a wrangler mang. Vettes and Porsche are so, like, 90's bruh.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I look at it this way.

I have had very fast cars and I have had very capable trucks in my life.

Cars could go fast but hate "weather". Trucks were not fast, could handle the weather , but were a pain in the ass to park and not fun like the muscle car.

Wrangler is fun, loves all weather both sun and slick, and gives me a grin like the muscle cars did just in a different way.

If I want to go fast I can pull the old Mustang out and play around. Day to day if I want to get to work in the crappy weather, or on a nice day with the wind in my hair the Wrangler fits the bill perfectly.

If that makes me a Poser then I guess that's me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I look at it this way.

I have had very fast cars and I have had very capable trucks in my life.

Cars could go fast but hate "weather". Trucks were not fast, could handle the weather , but were a pain in the ass to park and not fun like the muscle car.

Wrangler is fun, loves all weather both sun and slick, and gives me a grin like the muscle cars did just in a different way.

If I want to go fast I can pull the old Mustang out and play around. Day to day if I want to get to work in the crappy weather, or on a nice day with the wind in my hair the Wrangler fits the bill perfectly.

If that makes me a Poser then I guess that's me.
Exactly. We bought ours for a grocery getter, future baby hauler and mountain toy. You'll be hard pressed to find another vehicle that can do so much for so little investment. I'd rather have the capability and not use it, than not have it and need it.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,660 Posts
1. "The Skinny" isn't really a weekly rant. It's a life style for this guy. He clearly needs a sandwich.

2. So in this context:

Harleys should only be ridden on the highway
Porsches should only be driven on track days
Corvettes should only be driven by men in mid life crisis
SUV's should be only owned by women with children
Trucks should only be used as vehicles for moving things
Hondas/Kia's/Toyota should only be owned by Asians
BMW's parked in the driveway to make your neighbors jealous

Since Jeeps are ONLY for odd roading.

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
He's not wrong, to a point.
I'm all for anyone buying a Wrangler for whatever reason they want, even if it included just commuting or taking the kids to soccer practice. But we ALL have seen the guy (and I see plenty around here) with the lifted Jeep, stinger, Rockstars and 37s, snorkel, and so on, that has never been off road. Those guys do it just for the look. In other words, to pose. To each his own, just don't try to BS me about how "hardcore" you are with a spotless engine bay.
But yeah, cracking on a stock Jeep that never goes offroad is kinda dumb. Snowy winters are a part of why I bought mine. I do take mine offroad a good bit, but I'm certainly not hardcore.
Besides, I have other cars that are much better for getting the attention I, as a Wrangler owner, so obviously need. ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I bought my Wrangler because I wanted a convertible that wouldn't get stuck in winter weather in Indiana. I don't off road much (mainly to go pick Apples at the local orchard).

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you live in the plains with good roads and don't really travel to wilder areas, yeah I don't really get it. But on the same token if you...

- live in areas with crappy roads and want something that's suspension can handle the punishment
- live in poorly drained areas and won't want to worry *quite* as much about getting stuck or water entrance or damage if you happen to go over 2' deep (same with snow)
- basically want a four-door convertible that offers some roll-bar protection.
- live near or frequent parks, special events or festivals that have lots of uneven or ungraded surfaces with obstacles
- want to make almost any attractive young lady who's actually paying attention want to be in your Jeep

....then yeah, I don't see a problem with Wranglers.

Aside from "recreation", to me there is absolutely no practical purpose in hardcore off-roading an anything with a state vehicle plate and VIN that isn't heavily modified. And then, that kind of money could go toward a million other more practical things, like a complete surplus diesel Humvee. Lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
He's not wrong, to a point.
I'm all for anyone buying a Wrangler for whatever reason they want, even if it included just commuting or taking the kids to soccer practice. But we ALL have seen the guy (and I see plenty around here) with the lifted Jeep, stinger, Rockstars and 37s, snorkel, and so on, that has never been off road. Those guys do it just for the look. In other words, to pose. To each his own, just don't try to BS me about how "hardcore" you are with a spotless engine bay.
But yeah, cracking on a stock Jeep that never goes offroad is kinda dumb. Snowy winters are a part of why I bought mine. I do take mine offroad a good bit, but I'm certainly not hardcore.
Besides, I have other cars that are much better for getting the attention I, as a Wrangler owner, so obviously need.
Right on. My Jeep has been offroad twice. If I had the opportunity I'd go all the time, but last I checked the southernmost point of the US lacks trails... While I definitely laugh everytime I see the white Jeep on white 22 (24s..?) spinners, ultimately, who cares what people do with their vehicles? It's their money and if they like it... Also, if everyone bought vehicles based soley on usage, trucks would be rare, sports cars would hardly sell, and most of the country would be driving boring, FWD econoboxes that get 60 mpg...

Takeaway here is I guess since I didn't buy a rental grade, 6 banger Mustang convertible at the same or higher cost than the Jeep, I'm a poser... Thanks Craig Cole the Troll!

·
Registered
50 Posts
If having a dirty engine is someone's litmus test for a true Jeeper versus a "poser" then my friend they have got deeper seeded issues.

In all seriousness this is a PERFECT example of the problem that plagues our society today. Everybody is so concerned with what everyone else is doing as opposed to worrying about themselves. How does it affect YOUR life whatsoever if a guy has a 3 inch lift, 35 inch tires, a winch, and has not taken it offroading? Easy answer, it doesn't!

I hear this one a lot too (aside from reading it here), "I talked to a guy that acted like he was soo hardcore but has never taken that thing on a trail." Two observations here, 1. You don't have to talk to "that" guy, you choose to and then subsequently choose to complain about it. 2. Maybe he doesn't know where to begin in terms of finding a place to go offroad or people to go with. Instead of being "Judgy Mcjudgerson" maybe guide him in the right direction? If observation 2 fails stick with observation 1 minus the complaining.

I dunno we've just de-volved into this society of hate on everything and everyone that doesn't fit into our mold of what we think something/someone should be (i.e. if you don't have an inch of mud on your undercarriage you're a poser).

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If having a dirty engine is someone's litmus test for a true Jeeper versus a "poser" then my friend they have got deeper seeded issues.

In all seriousness this is a PERFECT example of the problem that plagues our society today. Everybody is so concerned with what everyone else is doing as opposed to worrying about themselves. How does it affect YOUR life whatsoever if a guy has a 3 inch lift, 35 inch tires, a winch, and has not taken it offroading? Easy answer, it doesn't!

I hear this one a lot too (aside from reading it here), "I talked to a guy that acted like he was soo hardcore but has never taken that thing on a trail." Two observations here, 1. You don't have to talk to "that" guy, you choose to and then subsequently choose to complain about it. 2. Maybe he doesn't know where to begin in terms of finding a place to go offroad or people to go with. Instead of being "Judgy Mcjudgerson" maybe guide him in the right direction? If observation 2 fails stick with observation 1 minus the complaining.

I dunno we've just de-volved into this society of hate on everything and everyone that doesn't fit into our mold of what we think something/someone should be (i.e. if you don't have an inch of mud on your undercarriage you're a poser).
You pretty much took the words right outta my mouth!

To each his/her own, I say.

I might not like your Jeep, you may not like mine, but I bet we each LOVE our own!

*Jeep Wave* to all.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I found it funny that he mentions going to the dog park.
I went to the dog park on Friday. I can't remember how it came up, but some guy mentioned that we can park in a different lot and won't have to go through the minefield of holes and dips and whatever else that's in the main gravel lot for the dog park.

I said "Nah... I'm driving a Jeep."

He laughed. :D

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Craig Cole is a tool bag and has funny hair.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Reminds me of a 4X4 show I went to years back. It was cheaper to show our trucks than to buy tickets, so we joined the show and had the best parking. Now all of our rigs were truly built for off road, used as such, and not much to look at. However that evening on the main strip in town there was an unsanctioned burn out competition. Many of the show trophy winners left their drive shafts on the ground or snapped axles. Yotas, with chevy 350s, 44" tires and stock drivetrains, but beautiful custom paint jobs.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts