Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a job in the Bluefield area of VA. It is western VA on the WV border. I see that there are plenty of mountains and forests there, so I am assuming plenty of 4x4 trails, hiking, etc.. Is this a good assumption? Any pointers or tips? Any funky 4x4 laws I should be aware of? Would this jeep be legal?

Attachments

·
Registered
22,809 Posts
I am looking into a job in the Bluefield area of VA. It is western VA on the WV border. I see that there are plenty of mountains and forests there, so I am assuming plenty of 4x4 trails, hiking, etc.. Is this a good assumption? Any pointers or tips? Any funky 4x4 laws I should be aware of? Would this jeep be legal?
No, Sir....... We don’t do flat fenders here cause they look funny.

Just kidding. Looks fine.

We do have yearly vehicle inspections tho, so, if you have any problems on said JK. You might want to get them corrected.

Your assumption is good as well. Plenty for the out doorsy types to do.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, Sir....... We don’t do flat fenders here cause they look funny.

Just kidding. Looks fine.

We do have yearly vehicle inspections tho, so, if you have any problems on said JK. You might want to get them corrected.

Your assumption is good as well. Plenty for the out doorsy types to do.
Guess I need bigger tires to fill up them wheel wells. We also have inspections here in NC so everything is usually up to par. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
22,809 Posts
Guess I need bigger tires to fill up them wheel wells. We also have inspections here in NC so everything is usually up to par. Thanks for the reply.
Haha.

Yeah Man.

Throwing this out there too.... if by chance you are into ATV’s and side by sides. The Hatfield-McCoy trails are out that way as well.

Also.. A friend of mine used to run a Jeep club out that way. Been a few years since I talked to him. But think he might still be involved.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard of the Hatfield-McCoy trails. Are they for jeeps as well? No ATV..yet. Got to get the job first. Interview on Monday.

·
Registered
39 Posts
VA does have a maximum allowable distance for wheels extending beyond the fender. There is fun publicly available trail called Potts Mtn on the WV/VA border.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked out some pics on line. Looks like a fun time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have heard of the Hatfield-McCoy trails. Are they for jeeps as well? No ATV..yet. Got to get the job first. Interview on Monday.
The Hatfield McCoy trails are ATV only - they did have one Jeep trail but lot the lease so it was closed. There is a lot of talk that it is going to reopen but I don't recall seeing anything official.

I know VA has some strict tint laws so if you have tint on the front windows you may want to pat attention to that.

You can also live on the Bluefield WV side, may want to see where taxes are the cheapest. WV inspection for a modified vehicle (your jeep) is slightly different than a "normal" factory vehicle and costs extra. Reg car is about$13 buck to inspect and the mod. vehicle is around $25 so not a big deal. Your yearly WV tag is right around $51 a year (just went up last year) but still cheap.
Car insurance is often high in WV due to a lot of lawsuits, deer strikes, etc. so some thing else you may want to look at.

Taxes on houses are fairly low but there is personal property tax on vehicles/trailers/motorcycles - but again between the two it is still a TON less than my overall taxes when I lived in Michigan.

Good luck on your interview

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts