Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the deal. I've only had this jeep two weeks and now might know why he got rid of it. I was getting ready to replace the valve cover gasket, due to small oil puddle every time i park. well my buddy decided to pull the dip stick and there was a small drip of white foam on the bottom, still had the clean oil above it. didn't smell like antifreeze tho, also pulled the air filter and there was some white foam on there also, but still don't smell like antifreeze. also one of the 90 degree angles on the breather tubes going to the air box was full of foam but only one. so i figure i would face the inevitable and pull the valve cover off and see how bad it is. well nothing on the valve cover and nothing on any of the rockers.....:confused::confused: since i got the truck i drive it 100 miles a day never overheats and heat works great. So i decided to go wheeling yesterday, 7 hours running whole time almost never reached 210 with heat on and off. truck has no other signs of a blown head gasket, antifreeze is full, no loosing of power doesn't smell, and not a ton of smoke( its cold out so normal smoke and it doesn't smell like antifreeze). I will check the psi in each cly tomorrow what should they be around(truck has 180k). What else could it be if not blown head gasket?? the foam doesn't smell like antifreeze and i'm stumped. the truck was stolen before i got it and recovered i'm wondering if maybe they flooded it bad, the oil filter looks new so wonder if its just residue and i should do another oil change, also there is oil on the block and my buddy thinks its coming from head i think was valve cover how common is the head to leak oil onto the block?? i guess i can do a dye test i'm just trying not to get frustrated with this truck. i don't mind doing the head gasket if need be, luckily I have spare trucks thanks guys in advance

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Sounds very much like a bad head gasket/coolant leak, i just dealt with this same thing a few months back on my 92 i6.. Doesnt have to smell like coolant to be coolant.. If you let it run for good period of time at operating temperature, then check it and its still has the foamy color in it, its safe to rule out condensation.

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
As a general rule, when you blow a head gasket you will find a brown gooey susbstance (oil/coolant mix) in both the engine and the coolant reservoir. It sounds like the po used some type of additive.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wrenchin sucks!

That sucks man! Antifreze in the oil makes it turn to chocolate milk. You would notice this immediately after you took the valve cover off. It could be just some moisture build up; but you have oil above this mark on the dipstick, so I don't know. If you have just a little on the tip, this is a serious problem, because this means that there is at least 2 quarts of water in it! I am an old gearhead and couldn't begin to tell you what do do as far as a troubleshoot goes. I think you have the right ideas though. I would deffinitely check the cylinders for pressure and then replace a head gasket if anything else. You may want to have the head and deck resurfaced a bit. These Jeeps are notorious for warping just ever so slightly to cause enough gap for blow-by between a cylinder. I had the same problem and took mine in for a dip, a valve job and the trimmings. I went down 0.014" between the head and block; about 0.009" on the head and 0.005" on the block. I gained a little more compression and I love it! Cost me about $50 to have the trim done, but that's here in Indiana and I drive a hard bargain! Good luck with that!:punk:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had a customer put advance auto brand oil (which is recycled) into their truck. They thought they had a blown head gasket too because it turned all milky. We tested the cooling system and it was all good so we changed the oil and nothing had happened since. I would say you probably have a similar situation if everything else checks out ok.

·
Registered
787 Posts
more than likely your PCV or CCV valve is bad and the normal condensation is getting in and causing the foam......change whichever one you have and i imagine your problem will clear up....prolly got some of that foam in the air cleaner, too?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Drive it till the wheels fall off. If its not actively running hot or loosing power, I doubt its blown. Change your oil and see what the old oil looks like. Let us know about the Compression test.

·
Registered
61 Posts
more than likely your PCV or CCV valve is bad and the normal condensation is getting in and causing the foam......change whichever one you have and i imagine your problem will clear up....prolly got some of that foam in the air cleaner, too?
x2

·
Registered
581 Posts
You can have an oil analysis done and see if there is any remnant of coolant in your oil. This works well for even small leaks, where your engine burns off the liquid coolant but non visible elements are left behind.

I think the presence of potassium is indicative of a coolant leak. Potassium attacks your bearing overlays.

I'd do an oil change, drive a couple hundred miles, and have an oil sample tested.

Read this shizzy: TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

·
Registered
581 Posts
BTW, ask a person who performs oil analysis what they think of K&N air filters.

I was shown definitive proof of the added dirt (silicon) present after changing to a K&N and the subsequent reduction in dirt once the K&N was round-canned in favor of a paper element...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VeroJoe said:
Who performs this oil analysis test???
Ditto?

So I didn't check anything after wheeling sunday, but drove yo work today (50 miles) and there was nothing on the dip stick,

So I checked the "ccv" someone else said this is what I got
eww. Then air filter and box

So I have blow back and there still was a small amount of water in bottom of air box from sunday. So I'm wondering of I just have a need for a snorkel?(wonder if I can convince the wifey) And be done with it all.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Thats worse than mine looked when my head gasket blew.. there are tests you can do if you google head gasket failure symptoms.. but chances are yours is blown.. I didn't feel any power loss from it, but that seems to be an aweful lot of contamination if its just condensation

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Thats not from sucking water into the intake either, that yellow crap is definitely a mixture of oil and coolant.. if water was introduced to oil it would not have been through your intake in that manner.. think of it this way, the splatter is coming from the breather tube so it was obviously coming out of the ccv.. which can only come from the oil which is contained in the engine, not in the cylinders.. if water had been introduced to the cylinders there's a high probability of hydolock as water cannot be compressed and you'd have more serious engine problems.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
mschillingii said:
Ditto?

So I didn't check anything after wheeling sunday, but drove yo work today (50 miles) and there was nothing on the dip stick,

So I checked the "ccv" someone else said this is what I got eww. Then air filter and box

So I have blow back and there still was a small amount of water in bottom of air box from sunday. So I'm wondering of I just have a need for a snorkel?(wonder if I can convince the wifey) And be done with it all.
Yeah my head gasket blew and it did that to mine too. I had oily crap everywhere then rebuilt the motor. But you need more than a snorkel to fix that. Just sayin

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only mixture is normally on tip of dip stick, and in just the rear ccv, just had the intake off and it was perfectly clean, any blown head gasket I have ever had the rocker's where always milk, but non here. I also realized my dip stick wasnt in all the way kinda bent at the handle. Also I play hard in water and mud when we where done playing my filter was soaked. I guess I'm going to drain the oil and see how much milk and check the compression this weekend and go from there

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Post your compression results when you do it.. playing in water isn't going to do this sort of thing, like I explained before.. its coming out of the front ccv too, thats obvious as its shi**ing it out into the air box.

When I drained my oil there wasn't much milky crap coming out, wasn't until I dropped the pan when you could see that it stayed in there..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Who performs this oil analysis test???
You should be able to google a local lab.

An old co-worker of mine at Honeywell started this business:

Cleveland Technical Center

3319 W Earll Dr, Phoenix, AZ 85017602-253-6515

I don't know whether CTC is still in business.

Here's another one I found: http://www.laboneinc.com/

You should be able to find a local on with a google search. I'd imagine it only costs $50-75. Oil analysis can give you very valuable information about your engine's internal condition.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Question, I found out my rear main is leaking, could that cause the little milk that I'm getting? Our just one more thing to replace?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts