Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Jeep Wrangler Jk Sport - 60k miles
Recently my wrangler has been having, what i believe to be, clutch issues. now this is my first manual and i learned how to drive manual on this car so there’s gonna be a little extra wear and tear than there’d normally be for the mileage. but my rpms do not match my acceleration now usually i shift around 2000-2500rpm and can get up to speed very easily and can punch it if i had to but as of late i have to shift around 3500rpm just to get going anywhere and ive lost the ability to quickly accelerate due to the fact if i push the gas down suddenly my rpms will shoot up to 4000+ but my acceleration does not match my speed will not change at all. if anyone could please help me in this problem if it is indeed a clutch issue and if this is something i can bleed out in the slave cylinder or if i have to go through a whole clutch replacement OR if this is a completely unrelated issue

·
Registered
618 Posts
based on your description, your clutch is worn out and needs replacing. bleeding the hydraulics won't fix a slipping issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
based on your description, your clutch is worn out and needs replacing. bleeding the hydraulics won't fix a slipping issue.
thank you ! hard to know what a slipping issue feels like since this is the first time experiencing it. i’ll look into that

·
Registered
618 Posts
thank you ! hard to know what a slipping issue feels like since this is the first time experiencing it. i’ll look into that
With a clutch, the rpms and speed are directly related based on the ratio of the gear. There should be no climb in rpms without a direct increase in speed. Based on this being your 1st manual transmission vehicle, there is a good chance you have worn out the clutch. You are more than likely seeing the warning signs. You won't have much time before it leaves you stranded. Start shopping around for a shop that can do a clutch and be prepared for a shock on the price. $1200 is a ballpark with shops that can beat that price and some that are more expensive. Don't go with the cheapest either. Depending on wear, you may need; throw out bearing, clutch fork, pivot ball stud, slave cylinder, flywheel, input bearing, input gear collar, in addition to the pressure plate and friction disc. Since the transmission and transfer case have to be removed to get to the parts don't skimp on the quality of the parts. I'm at 130,000 miles on my stock clutch and it is possible although rare to make it over 200,000 miles on a stock clutch. Just a guess, but I would say 120,000 miles is probably a realistic average if the clutch is not abused.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts