Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. Threw some new 31" mudders on my stock 1995 Sahara and I've noticed that the steering has gotten a little funky. Basically when I turn the steering sorta locks frees locks frees locks frees. Its not horrible, but I imagine it getting worse in the future. The power steering IS circulating and we checked all of the little knuckler joints(etc) just to make sure, and they're all fine. Should I be looking into a new gearbox?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I would think its more of a power steering pump issue than a gear box.

Can you hear the pump whining? Or is the power steering fluid foamy?

If the steering box was ok before the tires, 31's aren't going to be the culprit, more like a coincidence that the problem started after the bigger tires. Are the tires rubbing anywhere?

If it isn't the pump, you can do the steering box upgrade. A steering box from a 99 Dodge Dakota/ Durango is a direct bolt on for a YJ. It does use 1 less bolt than the YJ but it mounts and works fine. I believe they are right around $180 for a new one.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tires only rub the leafs when fully turning. It does seem strange because I know that 31" tires shouldn't be a problem turning. And I'm assuming the steering box and gearbox are the same thing? Also I looked at some prices, Quadretec has them listed for $500 while JCWhitney has them anywhere from $100-$300, I'm assuming you get what you pay for when it comes to something this important?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts