Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some pictures below of the bar that goes across. I think it's called a track bar but I'm not positive. New to the Jeep world . Anyway my question is is it supposed to be loose where you can rock back and forth? Also should I be worried about this rust at all?

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
Excessive play is not good. Are you having handling issues?

That just looks like regular surface rust/not too bad at all. Can hit it with a wire brush and some rattle can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Well you will be able to move it around on the ball of the bar. Its the up and down play you dont want.
And the rust doesent look severe.However on my Jeep,Id clean it up and paint it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excessive play is not good. Are you having handling issues?

That just looks like regular surface rust/not too bad at all. Can hit it with a wire brush and some rattle can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
To be honest not sure if it has excessive play as I came from a 5th gen Camaro SS so everything feels loose compared to it. I can say that I do hold the steering wheel with both hands as it doesn't feel as tight.

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
That bar looks like it is your tie rod. It connects one wheel to the other, so that when your steering wheel turns the one wheel the other wheel turns with it. It can and should have movement side to side compared to its actual direction of movement. Meaning the rod can move fore and aft in relation to the Jeep but it should not move side to side in relation to the Jeep (which is the direction the tie rod moves in).
I hope this makes sense. good play in this case is normal. Bad play, meaning play in the direction of normal movement, is bad.

If your Jeep does not drive well and you need two hands to control it, that seems wrong and you may have an issue there.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
The tie rod has ball joints at each end to allow the suspensoin to move. Surface rust can be painted to stop it. When I bought my used 14 I had rust, now I don't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts