Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-Great site.

I'll cut to the business. Ive been wanting a jeep for years...finally find one that i love visually...problem is its a 4cyl auto...ive always wanted a 6cly manual. its a 94 model. I am seriously entertaining picking this thing up...Are they really gutless? I plan to use it for around town and forest use, no serious off roading just gravel road putzing.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hey welcome the the Wrangler Forum!! :)

The 2.5 4 cylinders are by no means gutless. My friend has a 2.5 and he gets around perfectly fine with it and does everything my 4.0 6 cylinder does, just with more effort. Personally, after owning the 4.0, I would be disappointed with a 2.5. My friend with the 2.5 now wants to swap out his engine for the 4.0 6 cylinder.

With the 4 cylinder, it takes long to get up to speed and if you ever want to put on say, 33 inch tires, you'll have to regear the 4 cylinder. Also, there's more down shifting up hills with a 4 cylinder.

In my opinion, if you buy a 2.5 4 cylinder, you'll be fine. They are great little motors. But I think you'd be happier with the 4.0 6 cylinder manual (what I have). I love it! :)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It really depends on your situation. If the jeep is in good condition, little rust, and a decent amount of miles...I'd say do it. It can be a little meager past 65 mph, but around town it's more than enough.

I'd also have to disagree with YJman about re gearing. You'd be fine with stock gears on 33's if you're just doing mild off roading.

Like I said, it really depends. If it feels right, and you test drove it...then it's probably right.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Got no complaints about mine,.....well except for hills

·
Registered
26 Posts
Personally I held off til I found exactly what I wanted. Took me 4 or 5 months to find a black YJ with gray interior, 4.0 6cyl, manual, but I did find it, and for a good price. I think I wouldn't be AS happy if I had settled.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have a '93 and 2 '95 YJ's...all 4 cyl. I have no problem with the 2.5. Does everything I want it to do...the 1993 and 1 1995 are both fitted with snow plows and they work just fine pushing snow. They are no speed demons, but work excellent for what I have them for. If it was an auto 4 cyl., I would think twice. I bought my wife a '97 TJ 4 cyl auto, and the only reason was because it was in awesome shape and she can't drive stick for $h1t. If it fits your budget and you are happy with the performance when you drive it...then you have to make a choice. For me, I refuse to pay over $5000 for any Wrangler, and I haven't yet and all have been good to me. I have 4 now. 1 TJ and 3 YJ's.

Here is my wife's that I paid $3500 for: 1997 TJ 4 cyl auto

It's all in what YOU want and feel comfortable with in the end.

·
Registered
925 Posts
2.5 is good and if im not mistaken it comes with 4.11 from the factory so youd be fine for 33s, maybe might think about upgrading the axle if your offroading gets more serious

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Warning to future Jeep owner ---- most of us don't plan to get sucked into this addiction as deep as we do. I thought fun vehicle to have and maybe some dirt trails. Now I am always upgrading and carry spare driveshafts lol Hold out for the 6cyl manual.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Warning to future Jeep owner ---- most of us don't plan to get sucked into this addiction as deep as we do. I thought fun vehicle to have and maybe some dirt trails. Now I am always upgrading and carry spare driveshafts lol Hold out for the 6cyl manual.
i agree! if its flat where you live then maybe the 4 would do. where i live its a no go for the 4. i also like to to my fishing boat so 6 is the only way to go.
and if you can get the 95 if its a yj your after, its the best year

·
Registered
431 Posts
Dont do it. Wait it out for the I6. You can change the visual apperance for fairly cheap but not the other stuff.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have an 01 4cyl auto on 31's. It is very slow especially going up mountain passes. It does ok around town. Don't plan on going over 60, won't happen.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It really depends on your situation. If the jeep is in good condition, little rust, and a decent amount of miles...I'd say do it. It can be a little meager past 65 mph, but around town it's more than enough.

I'd also have to disagree with YJman about re gearing. You'd be fine with stock gears on 33's if you're just doing mild off roading.

Like I said, it really depends. If it feels right, and you test drove it...then it's probably right.
Sorry I'm still learning lol :) Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have an 01 4cyl auto on 31's. It is very slow especially going up mountain passes. It does ok around town. Don't plan on going over 60, won't happen.
Depends. My 4 cylinder cruises at 75, and it will go to 85. I run 31's with an auto tranny. Just takes a bit to get there.

I also have a TJ with a 4.0L, and I do love driving it. For whatever reason, I prefer to drive my YJ (4 cylinder.) Only reason I grabbed the 4 cylinder YJ was because I found it with 42k miles from an old man. He took great care of it, undercoated it, and changed the oil religiously. If I found a 6 cylinder at a reasonable price, I probably would have snagged it...but I searched for awhile.

Looking back, I don't regret it. I love the YJ more then I ever liked the TJ with the 4.0L.

Either way, you'll be happy with whatever you buy.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Depends. My 4 cylinder cruises at 75, and it will go to 85. I run 31's with an auto tranny. Just takes a bit to get there.

I also have a TJ with a 4.0L, and I do love driving it. For whatever reason, I prefer to drive my YJ (4 cylinder.) Only reason I grabbed the 4 cylinder YJ was because I found it with 42k miles from an old man. He took great care of it, undercoated it, and changed the oil religiously. If I found a 6 cylinder at a reasonable price, I probably would have snagged it...but I searched for awhile.

Looking back, I don't regret it. I love the YJ more then I ever liked the TJ with the 4.0L.

Either way, you'll be happy with whatever you buy.
I wish I could get mine past 60 :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts