Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I've got a 2016 JKU WW with 20,000 miles on the clock. Thinking about trading it on a new one...sounds crazy hey? I probably won't do it, but just thinking aloud I guess. Has anyone done something like this, traded a year old car on a new one, same or similar model, and if so, did you get screwed by the dealer, or did they make it a smooth and inexpensive transition?

Probably a dumb question, maybe I shouldn't be up at 7am on the WF! LOL

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Reactions: deeve

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'd wait until the 2018 JL's are released.
I hate the horn enough to wait for next model.

Reactions: deeve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello guys, I've got a 2016 JKU WW with 20,000 miles on the clock. Thinking about trading it on a new one...sounds crazy hey? I probably won't do it, but just thinking aloud I guess. Has anyone done something like this, traded a year old car on a new one, same or similar model, and if so, did you get screwed by the dealer, or did they make it a smooth and inexpensive transition?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
All comes down to money, its already two model years old so thats pretty common in the car industry with leases etc.

Go to KBB, plug in all your options and whatever the "fair" trade in number is would be around what you'll get...you either owe more money than that and will feel the dealership is trying to screw you or you owe less than that and you'll be excited! Are you not liking your current JKU?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm in the process of doing what you described with a 2015. I knew going in that the numbers would or would not work out. We started by agreeing on the price of my trade. Once we agreed on that he gave me a number for one ordered with everything I wanted. I then showed him a quote from Koons. He got close enough to their price for me to make the deal. 8 hours driving + tolls + fuel + cost to transfer the title to pa add up fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I ask myself; "what does the new one do, that old one doesn't?" And "is the amount spent worth what's gained?". If you continue to rack up 20k miles per year, you're not going to have to live with it for a decade.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd say do the things that you love on a JKU. I have a 2012 JK that I have exactly like I want it to be. When I go onto the Jeep website and build a new one, all I do is sit there and think to myself, I am going to have to add new bumpers, I am going to have to add a lift, etc. If you have a WW JKU that's a 2016, you've got one helluva Jeep. Just do a few mods if you haven't so to really make it unique to you and what you love.

Reactions: Jeep Spree

·
Registered
194 Posts
My two cents...

I felt compelled to share my thoughts. I'm one of those guys that dealerships love.

I purchase a new car every year & a new m/c (bike) every other year.
I've done this since circa 1995. With the low interest rates, and with top tier credit, anything is possible. Moreover, I purchase vehicles that have above average resale value. Provided u have limited debt, a good income, no significant financial burdens, and you're saving for the future/retirement, then why not? I enjoy the smell of a new car. I enjoy the allure of a new vehicle order/purchase. Additionally, my state credits me with state income tax credit.
Here is how I see it. I purchase a car/Jeep - I get enjoyment out of this expense, and I realize nothing in life is free. Enjoyment costs money. :happyyes:

I have no kids, no pets, no other financial obligations, so I do what makes me happy.

I chose this lifestyle, it makes me happy. Do what makes you happy. If you can afford the expense, provided you know the auto industry and the many nuances of buying/negotiating/financing then go for it.
I've never taken it over the coals with trade-ins. I know the car market, and I know how to negotiate. Do I lose some money on trade? You bet, but everything costs. I just make sure that when I negotiate a deal, I have to be comfortable with the end result. What can I live with? If I don't get what I want via my negotiations, then I step back and walk out/move on. I then know it was not meant to be!

I traded my '15 in on a '16 VW GTI, thinking I needed a better/more economical/faster/better handling DD. I was wrong. I missed my Jeep.

I really liked my '15 JK, but wished I ordered the color matched HT. I should have ordered the color matched HT. This time around, I ordered it.
Do yourself a favor, don't skimp out on anything you really want. You buy cheap, you buy expensive. :happyyes:

GL/Cheers,

B

Reactions: Jeep Spree

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Mike
list your reasons for wanting to trade. Be totally honest with what is making you want to trade. You might have valid reasons.

·
Registered
192 Posts
depends what you're trading in for I think. I traded a '12 Wrangler for a '15 and did really well, got more than I paid for it in trade. Then stupidly traded the '15 in for a Camaro, again did real well on the trade in but almost immediately missed my Jeep so traded in for a '16. TERRIBLE trade in that time.

Sadly, a year later I still get ideas of trading in for a new Jeep even though I've got a real nice Willys atm. The only prob is that its black, and black kinda depresses me. The Chief ones look fantasatic to me right now lol...

-Dirk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, some good insight there, thank you. I guess ultimately if I was really that curious, I would go to the dealer and see how I can negotiate a deal that works. I think I just like the idea of new, and LED factory headlights.

Timing would be the key I suppose. Go at the end of the month or year and see how aggressive they are; who knows, maybe I can step into something with equal or better options, with no change in payment - either length of loan or amount of payment.

I do enjoy my Willys Wheeler. If there was anything I'd change, it would be diff ratio. I'd like to lower the RPMs on the highway and have LED headlights from the factory.

The Chief does look good, eh? I followed one on the highway last week in TN, man she was hauling ass!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd wait until the 2018 JL's are released.
I hate the horn enough to wait for next model.
Oh yes that stupid freaking horn. There's no such thing as a momentary honk...no matter how quickly you tap that horn button. What is up with that?

Reactions: CTarna

·
Registered
45 Posts
I almost traded my 2016 Willys for a 2017 Back Winter edition. After my Jeep was appraised and the price difference I wold have had a huge payment. Dealership would
only give me 25,000 trade in but its a numbers game. I`m keeping my Black Willys
for a while going to ad JW Speaker Headlights and fogs this week.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I almost traded my 2016 Willys for a 2017 Back Winter edition. After my Jeep was appraised and the price difference I wold have had a huge payment. Dealership would
only give me 25,000 trade in but its a numbers game. I`m keeping my Black Willys
for a while going to ad JW Speaker Headlights and fogs this week.
Wow that's low ball right there. I suppose they have to make money, right? So I wonder then, if Jeeps really do hold their value, who's getting the money? Where are the numbers coming from? Who's selling their jeep for high value? Is it the owner when trading in? In your case it wasn't going to be. Is it the owner when they sell it privately? Doubtful. Is it the dealer when re-selling it? Ahhh...yes, I think so. So when you first buy a Wrangler, they gush about how much it holds its value...but at the end of the day, it's their benefit, not yours.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Traded in my '15 JKU Sport S last month for 27k. I paid 30k 24 months earlier. Subtract 1k for the new tires and $200 for all the free oil changes and I believe it cost me $1,800 for 24 months. I plan to keep my '17 much longer. Had lots of problems with my '15. I found them too late for Pa lemon law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts