Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My problem is this. Ever since it started getting cold here in Ohio, my jeep (2.5) has been starting really hard. It would roll over for about 4 or 5 minutes then sputter to a start. I noticed that as the engine rolled over the check engine light was very dim but as the engine rolled it gradually got brighter. When it was at its peak brightness it would startup. I talked to a bud of mine and he asked me if I could hear the fuel pump load up when I turned the key on. I tried it last night before I went to work and it didnt load up. But this time instead of rolling the engine over till it started I left the ignition on. The check engine light started to flicker then get brighter and brighter the same way it did when I tried to roll it over. When the engine is warm, it starts no problem, the fuel pump loads up too. Thinking it was maybe an electrical problem, I took out the relay in the fuse box, sprayed it down w/ contact cleaner. I even traded it for the one that was labeled starter. Same thing happend. Hard to start. I'm at a loss. I also had some gunk in my air filter...not sure if its related. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
sounds like either a battery or an alternator problem...if it starts fine after running, I would guess maybe your battery isn't holding a charge overnight?? Is your battery old? Another thought may be your distributor...That's cheap and easy to change...just a couple guesses...good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is 6 months old. It holds a charge just fine. It rolls over but just won't fire. If the distrubutor was bad wouldn't the fuel pump still load up when I turn on the ignition? Im not sure. I should replace the d-cap any way. I'll get when when I replace those relays. Thanks for the luck...LOL!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but wouldnt the fuel pump still come on when you go to start it? I can hear it come on when i turn the key for a second. it just doesnt do it when its cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts