Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at possibly trading my current 10' Sahara for a used 19' sport. My question is the sport has a lift and 315/70/17 BFG's. It is spec'd in a 6 speed manual, with 3.45 gearing. My current 3.8 has the 4 speed auto trans with 3.73 and is kind of a dog with my current 285/75/17 Nittos. Does anyone have any input or experience with the current JL manual and this gear ratio/ tire size?

·
Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
Keep in mind you skipped a generation of the 2012-2018 3.6 V6: that motor was a big improvement over the 3.8 already.

I owned a 2012 JKUR with the 3.6 V6 and the 6-speed manual on a 2.5-inchnlift, 35” tires and 4.10 gearing: it drove fine.

I test drive a stock JL with the 6-speed: the throw was much shorter than on my JK.

I don’t have a manual now, but I will say the heavily redesigned V6 feels pretty snappy with the 8-speed automatic.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the input! I'm going to go drive it tomorrow to see how it feels.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anything else on this JL platform I should be looking out for? Any two door quirks, etc...?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have a 2020 JLR manual and I havent had any quirks so far. I only have about 15k miles on it though. There is a recall on the clutch for the JL manual that I just got done yesterday so you may want to ask if they have gotten the recall done or not. If they haven't it's not something that you need to rush in and get but it's something to have in mind to get done.

·
Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
Well... There’s the wandering steering issue, which has just now been fixed with a new steering box on 2021 JLs. My guess is about 1/3 of 2018-2020 JLs are plagued with it. FCA issued a TSB in August, but there’s a shortage of parts; each dealer only gets one steering box at any given time.

My JL has been pretty trouble free so far. But they have a ton of electronics, and electrical issues appear to be fairly common —following a time-honored Fiat tradition. The ESS can cause the auxiliary battery to stop charging, killing all power. There have been a batch of 2020 JLs that were losing all power as soon as they drove off the dealership. eTorque adds its own layer of complexity.

Other than that, the 3.6 V6 and 2.0T seem pretty reliable; the EcoDiesel less so. The 8-speed automatic has proved to be durable; there have been issues with the clutch on the 6-speed. There was a recall earlier this year.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one I'm looking at has 19k on the clock. It appears from the pics to have a Mopar lift and already has wheels and 35's. I like the additional creature comforts that come factory on it, I'm not crazy about how the soft top folds though. It also has remaining factory warranty which is a plus. The deciding factor is going to be how it drives and getting the right price for my trade. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
BTW, I realize that shifting gears is a matter of personal preference. But so you know, the 8-speed is so good, you won’t miss the 6-speed. Especially when mated with the V6.

The auto is responsive, refined and reliable, It is always on the right gear, and gives you two extra speeds. Including a super-low 1st gear that makes the Jeep pretty snappy off-the-line, and comes in handy on the trail in combination with 4L.

It will also expand your used-JL search ten fold.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't really even looking to be honest. My JK is a weekend driver and only has 55k on it. I just happened to see this one last weekend and stopped to check it out. I really like the look of the JL model and if given the opportunity when I bought my current rig I would have went manual, but the wife wasn't on board at the time. She now realizes she never drives it so me having a manual is no issue now.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Steering is the biggest bug a boo on the JL so far.

I’m not a fan of the new manual; wide gear ratio spread, soft clutch, remote linkage... the whole package just doesn’t feel right to me.....but i would absolutely still buy it over the automatic.

It has a very steep first gear (5.13) so you’ll get off the line just fine with 315/70’s. You may loose 5th or 6th both as are overdrive.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Are you tall? I’m 6’3”. I don’t fit in well at all in the JL. I’ve sat in a rubicon & sport model JLs and gladiators while killing time at the dealership. With seat adjusted for my comfort, my head is about 1/4-1/2 inch from the sound bar. I Not enough room to my liking. In my ‘17 jku big bear, I have 3+ inches of space betw my head & the sound bar. Just food for thought

·
Registered
25 Posts
Many many new features over your existing rig. The JL’s are pretty slick rides. As noted the 8 speed auto is an incredible box. I’ve driven sticks for years, but the 8 sp is fantastic.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You might check the price of new, late model used prices are quite high. We just bought a JL and a Gladiator, the 3.6/8sp. auto is quick. We have a couple 3.8's and two JK's, the JL setup is pretty refined in comparison.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, been out of touch for a while. The dealer still has the JL and I've kind of been playing the game with them, nothing done as of yet. They aren't really wanting to budge on price, but its been on the lot for two weeks now. I think the manual is the hold up for most people looking at it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sorry, been out of touch for a while. The dealer still has the JL and I've kind of been playing the game with them, nothing done as of yet. They aren't really wanting to budge on price, but its been on the lot for two weeks now. I think the manual is the hold up for most people looking at it.
Quarter ends this month, so maybe that will be your best chance at your best price.
The 2010 has great mileage for sure but most places won't finance with decent rates over 10 year old, so they know they might take a bath if they give you too much and they can't turn it around.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
FYI - Employee Pricing is back on Gladiators. Every Sport, Sport S, North Edition and Overland shows 10% off MSRP, before any dealer discounts. Rubicon and Mojave are excluded.

FCA did the same thing in the 2nd half of August; they must be trying to meet sales and production targets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts