Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry no pics yet, just got back from warranty recall work for the tranny cooler/power steering rework after over 4 months of waiting. They accomplish the work in under 2 hours. I find that suspicious...

I get home and feel like having a look over where they worked. I climb under, and there's tranny fluid just everywhere! No puddles, and levels are good, just frame and engine compartment soaked because no courtesy wipe-down for me. I make my way over to the vacuum canister (2012) and the wire harness to it and the driver's side ABS sensor is pulled guitar string tight over the very hot, newly installed tranny line. :atomic:

I had no choice. I bust out my trusty cutters and go to town cutting zip-ties and harness tape trying to get this thing routed safely. I have established enough slack to drive it safely, but I'm not near finished yet. So far, no damage and no codes.

If you have had this work performed, check your wiring...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I just had mine done too, while it was in I had them change the oil & rotate the tires. All was done in under two hours too, I'm guessing they're getting really good at it?

First thing I did when I pulled in the driveway was check their work. I noticed some fluid all over the hood latches first, fluid on a few things underneath but nothing was dripping so no biggie. Everything looks pretty good as far as I can tell. I didn't think to check the tranny levels, I will do that tonight. However, what I did check was the oil level and sure enough it was over filled. So I climb under to drain some (I have a fumoto valve so it's easy to drain a little) and there is oil dripping from one end of my skid plates to the other. Grrrrr....I sent the hose in with the Jeep for the fumoto valve - it's not rocket science. NEVER again will anyone but me change my oil. I always do it myself but figured it was in there & it needed to be done so how bad could it be? Doh!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My dealer took a little longer, but I guess the extra hour was spent cleaning up any fluid spills...everything was dry. I'll double-check the wiring though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On 4/18/14 I had the recall work done on my 2012 Wrangler. Trans. and powder steering lines replaced. After I drove home I noticed drops of fluid on my drive way so I looked underneath the front end and the front end underside was soaked with powder steering fluid. Not only did the service dept. not clean up after this work was preformed the powder steering reservoir was filled to the brim way past the max fill line causing the fluid to be forced out of the reservoir cap vents.

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
Damn... you guys going to the same dealer? That sloppy work is worthy of a phone call and demand a full cleaning of the undercarriage.

The piss poor ABS sensor wiring job.. a few good pics and send them off in an email to the GM and service manager. If they are going to have monkeys work on your Jeep, its definitely worth rattling their cages.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Damn... you guys going to the same dealer? That sloppy work is worthy of a phone call and demand a full cleaning of the undercarriage.

The piss poor ABS sensor wiring job.. a few good pics and send them off in an email to the GM and service manager. If they are going to have monkeys work on your Jeep, its definitely worth rattling their cages.

^x2

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Photos Post-Fix… I wish I could highlight these photos. If ya want to look over your rig after you had the mod done, here's a frame of reference. First one is facing the grill, drivers side frame rail, 2nd one is under drivers side frame rail facing up thru the upper air dam (or where it WOULD be ;) ) 3rd photo is passenger side frame rail facing through the fender splash guard.

In the 1st photo, where the new line bends in toward the frame, you can see the chafing from where the two wire harness' were grinding on it, plus a piss-poor tube clamp bent at a 45* angle. The 2nd pic is after I disconnected that ABS sensor line and the vacuum canister connector which was also dangling off its stow point, then rerouted them under the line. Both were routed by the dealer OVER the new line. In the 3rd photo you see an ATF-soaked wire harness.

On the plus side, I was able to reuse all but one harness clamp, and finished the work in 45 minutes (including lights check).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Thanks for the pics. So this is all located/accessed in the top portion of the engine bay? Having mine done tomorrow- I have an exhaust and tranny skid I really don't want to have to take off. May never go back on LOL.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The work on mine was fine horable the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd time.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I think you'll be fine JH, I didn't pull any of my skids (& neither did the dealer) though I do not have an exhaust skid.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Thanks Sueby. I was pretty certain that's the case- but the guy at the dealer says they should be off. But I don't think he has any idea where or what I was talking about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts