Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 willys kJ with 13k, drivers vent getting cooler, antifreeze getting dirtier, awesome heat at speed not so much at low rpm. Checked vents with heat and fan on full blast with warm engine at idle, drivers side 98f center 145f. Got brushed off by dealer, called customer care, went back to dealer slightly irate, service manager tried brushing me off numerous times before doing me the massive favor of ordering a new heater core but claiming nothing is going to change? I hope they flush everything well and new heater core sorts it but i will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
555 Posts
2015 JKU, <10k mi. When driving, heat blows reasonably hot. Slow down, or worse, stop, and it cools down dramatically.

For example, 34° outside yesterday, while moving 65MPH, temp set to 74° was fine. Stop in traffic, had to bring it up to 78° just to get meaningful heat. Accelerate up to speed again, back down. When it was 10° outside, even at max heat, when sitting at a light for a couple of minutes, it was blowing lukewarm air, at best. Couldn't keep up.

Was told by the tech that it was due to coolant flow, so at idle it's not going to get as hot as when RPMs are higher, further, that unless temps at the vent get below 120°, there isn't really anything they can do.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
That was my post linked above and I'll add that it's imperative that the radiator, oil cooler and heater core be changed at once if it's the sludge issue, along with flushing the system as many times as it takes to clear any sludge left over. If the above is not done then eventually the system will get clogged again as sludge will still be present in the components not changed out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i agree 100%

That was my post linked above and I'll add that it's imperative that the radiator, oil cooler and heater core be changed at once if it's the sludge issue, along with flushing the system as many times as it takes to clear any sludge left over. If the above is not done then eventually the system will get clogged again as sludge will still be present in the components not changed out.
100% correct - but my dealer doesn't take advice well, or want to service any vehicles apparently under warranty. I jumped all over them for obviously not even looking at my fluid and in the end they are still telling me its not going to fix this i.e. normal so i said great lets go jump in another wrangler and see if it does it - he thought it probably wouldn't and so i pointed out the obvious fact that something is wrong/not normal. He just said he would call me when the heater core comes in.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My dealership service department charges $104 per hour labor and you can bet your rear that FCA does not pay near that rate when they perform warranty work so that's pretty much why service departments are not always in a hurry to help, but they should look at it as an investment in customer satisfaction because a happy customer is usually a repeat customer.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
vent controls default to front vents on first startup and don't become responsive till i turn the vent control knob all the way to the right (defrost). Dealer reflashed the computer. did not fix the problem. Bad bearing in HVAC fan motor causing noise. Dealer tested and said everything is fine even though you can hear it!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
vent controls default to front vents on first startup and don't become responsive till i turn the vent control knob all the way to the right (defrost). Dealer reflashed the computer. did not fix the problem. Bad bearing in HVAC fan motor causing noise. Dealer tested and said everything is fine even though you can hear it!
I referenced another thread for you to read that I started a few days ago about my experience and the end result. The link is in the annual trip to the dealer with no heat that you also asked me a question and I attached a link to my thread explaining my experience.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely have some gunk in the bottom of my overflow but can't tell how much is there - going to try and retrieve some and photograph it to document the problems. If its in there its everywhere in the cooling system -

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Also open your radiator cap (when cool) and see if you have little white globs of sludge on the cap and floating in the coolant. Another indicator that the system has sludge in it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well - mine went in for heater core/back flush yesterday (that i had to fight for) I had it for two minutes and heard gurgling, the heater was throwing out way more heat but then it started going up and down. Got home and popped the hood, radiator cap is cold - Called went back in today they apparently burped the system - and crazy heat output across all vents all the time. I hope it lasts but will post back here if reoccurs -

·
Registered
135 Posts
My issue with my auto temp control heater, which was present since the 2015 Ruby was new, is this: after about 30 minutes of driving with the top down (Or all windows open) , the heater blows cold unless it is turned up to the very top setting, (then it blows very very hot... ). The problem is there is No in between. Outside temperature 60 to 65. So for example if I set the temperature at 84, and it's clearly about 65 in the car, the heater blows cold. Dealer can't duplicate.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My issue is also with the automatic temperature control in our 2016 Ruby. Works fine for the first hour or so. I drove it to Denver New Years Eve and had to wear a coat to stay warm. Outside temperature was about 20 degrees. It was brand new with only 60 miles when I left Oklahoma City. I sat it on 85 then higher with little change. On manual I could get some heat at a lower setting

The Jeep Wave contacted me after noting the problem in the survey. Also had an air leak issue. At their request I took the Ruby in for service last week. The system was re-calibrated. They also adjusted the drivers door. We drove it to northern Oklahoma yesterday. The air leak was improved but not completely stopped. The automatic climate control performed as usual after about an hour. Very cool in the cabin with the temp set on 78. It was only 60 outside. We bought this Jeep off the lot. Had I ordered the Jeep, I would not have bought the automatic temperature control for this reason. Not real sure the dealer will be able to fix the issue.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Anyone got STAR cases on these? My dealer claims nothing's wrong, and that they haven't heard any reports of this condition. I'd love to go back with a list of case numbers.

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
Well - mine went in for heater core/back flush yesterday (that i had to fight for) I had it for two minutes and heard gurgling, the heater was throwing out way more heat but then it started going up and down. Got home and popped the hood, radiator cap is cold - Called went back in today they apparently burped the system - and crazy heat output across all vents all the time. I hope it lasts but will post back here if reoccurs -
Am I reading this to say your heat is still going up and down?

Sure the blend doors are calibrated? Actuator is working properly?

Just because you had stop leak in the bottom of your coolant reservoir doesn't mean the coolant needed to be flushed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All good right now

Am I reading this to say your heat is still going up and down?

Sure the blend doors are calibrated? Actuator is working properly?

Just because you had stop leak in the bottom of your coolant reservoir doesn't mean the coolant needed to be flushed.

For the time being everything is working like new - it had started going down hill quickly and it wasn't just the reservoir - the coolant looked like crap in the radiator, the overflow had a bit of junk in the bottom (i can't say what it was). They replaced the heater core and backflushed the system, but it had air in it, got the air out and topped it off and now its a proper heater. No issue with the blend doors/actuator. FWIW another dealer near DC confirmed they have performed this same procedure a couple times for the same problems but my local dealer came through in the end.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry no STAR

Anyone got STAR cases on these? My dealer claims nothing's wrong, and that they haven't heard any reports of this condition. I'd love to go back with a list of case numbers.

Sorry no STAR but I hope that people reporting in one spot can be some evidence and lead people to other solutions. Customer care seems to be hit or miss but you can push for it to be escalated, a file opened. Also another dealer told me there is a service/parts district manager or rep or something who is paid by Chrysler and if your dealer needs a nudge to do what is right they can help... This was told to me when i commented customer care told me that all dealerships are independent and can help or not and there is not much that can be done- i was shocked by this and told them so since they all fly the Chrysler/Jeep flag. I wish you luck - hope another dealer is more helpful.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts