Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone let me know what you guys and gals think. I currently have a 2002 status rt with 120,000 miles on it. A couple years ago I had to replace the clutch, last year was the radiator and a few weeks ago was the slave cylinder. It runs well but with it being 10 years old I'm worried something else will happen which is why I began my search for a new vehicle. I've always envied the guys driving around town in the summer with their jeeps with the doors and top off. So I test drove a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander and I have to tell you I really liked how I felt in it. I have a couple other vehicles in mind that I will test drive this week (all either awd or 4x4, which is what I'm looking for). I'm thinking about going back and retest driving the Islander again (does that mean I'm hooked? Lol). The Islander is on the lot for $22,500 (power package, dual tops, 17in tires) but I'm sure I could negotiate it down. The vehicle is a one owner with 20k miles. To be honest I keep going on the wrangler forums and browsing jeeps.

I'm curious as to what you guys think of the Islander and if that's a good deal.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
A couple years ago I had to replace the clutch, last year was the radiator and a few weeks ago was the slave cylinder.
Jeeps are a lot like that....fun, but wrenching is the order of the day. That's part of the fun (believe it or not). You probably won't have those kinds of problems with a newer wrangler but it will happen.....whether it's mods or maintenance. If you are looking to not spend money or get good gas mileage then buy something else.

Jeeps are for absolutely insane people that don't understand what a budget is or what priorities are. You will see people put rent money into their jeep...it's a lot like heroine I'm guessing. Yes, I'm an addict. I'm on my fourth jeep....just can't kick the habit...

If you decide to go Jeep, at least you've been warned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Everyone looks cool in a Jeep, does not matter if you are 17 or 87

If you are really set on a Jeep and depending on your budget do a search on autotrader or cars.com for Jeeps with under 30k miles. I bet you find alot in the $18k to $20k range that are well worth looking at over the Islander. The Islander is a jeep with some decals, and bigger tires that Jeep slapped on it and charged an extra $1200 for, and now a used dealership is still charging extra for.

The money you save can go into custom wheels and tires.

Also, remember if it is going to be a daily driver gas mileage sucks. Mine is not so i do not worry about it.

Plus you have been warned by hosejockey, it's an addiction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts