Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Blake, and i am a soon to be jeep owner. I am in the market for a 2012 (at least) JKU sport with hard top.

I have found a 13 rubicon for sale for a about 2k more than my goal price, but it has 80k+ miles, and a soft top. Now, i dont know how they managed to run 80k in 2 years, but it is what it is. The dealer claims to know the seller and they are all highway. The jeep is about 3 hours away and i cannot inspect in person.

what issues (aside from typical maintenance) would i see with a jeep with 80k on the OD?

I plan to have this as a DD with about 30 miles a day round trip. beach trips, and maybe some light wheeling. trails and mud mostly. It wont pull my boat, so the truck has to stay. I live in SE houston area, so there isnt a whole lot of offroad area, but there are some parks around.

Also, anyone in the Bastrop Texas area, want to go have a look at it for me??

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
The miles are easy to see if sold in say Aug or Sept of '12 and it is almost time for the '16s to be out in a few months.......IMO for what you are saying, the Rubi package is like buying A/C, and living in Alaska sur eyou can have it if ya want it...but probably won't ever need it....Good Luck!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm a little far from bastrop or I'd love to go look at it for you. But I agree, 80k is a LOT OF MILES to be 2 years old. I could see 40k or 50k but 80k is alot.

I don't know of any major issues that the 13's had, but personally, I would want to go check it out for myself before I made any commitments at all.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Is the jeep at Benny Boyd?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
i would be cautius of 80k miles in 2 years.. what on earth were they doing with it. thats 100 miles a day. dafuq lol.

But if its true and legit, highway miles are like zero wear and tear on the engine. one gear, one rpm range for most the trip. If it was going over hills everyday id be worried about that tranny.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the dealer claims the PO was a friend. she owned some stores and would drive around to each one daily.

that 160 miles a day 5 days a week!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could post up in the Texas forum and see if somebody's in that area or they know the jeep.
good idea, i may do that, once i get more feedback here. im still a little gunshy of 80k miles on any rig, let alone a 2yr old...

:(

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
yes it is. white rubi with a soft top
That's where I bought my jeep. I'm friends with the Internet Sales Manager. :)

Today is Kevin's day off, but I could try to get in touch with him tomorrow and get the low down for you.

Who have you been talking to? Art?

·
Registered
863 Posts
How many miles do you typically put on a vehicle in a year? Will you be financing this Jeep? If you finance, figure out how many miles you think will be on it when you get it paid off. Does this number make you happy? My wife once bought a vehicle with 60k miles and when it got paid off 5 years later it had something like 160k miles. Almost time for a new vehicle by then, so we decided that if it could be helped, we wouldn't buy vehicles with high miles anymore unless it was cash and not a primary vehicle.

·
Retired Moderator
100,574 Posts
That's just way to many miles for the year. IMO
I would pass on that one!!!!!!!!!!

Check out craigslist, car gurus and the truck trader for Wranglers in your area....:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
That's where I bought my jeep. I'm friends with the Internet Sales Manager. :) Today is Kevin's day off, but I could try to get in touch with him tomorrow and get the low down for you. Who have you been talking to? Art?
Is that gonna cost him more money? :Mooning:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's where I bought my jeep. I'm friends with the Internet Sales Manager. :)

Today is Kevin's day off, but I could try to get in touch with him tomorrow and get the low down for you.

Who have you been talking to? Art?
stephen brown is the one ive been dealing with. thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many miles do you typically put on a vehicle in a year? Will you be financing this Jeep? If you finance, figure out how many miles you think will be on it when you get it paid off. Does this number make you happy? My wife once bought a vehicle with 60k miles and when it got paid off 5 years later it had something like 160k miles. Almost time for a new vehicle by then, so we decided that if it could be helped, we wouldn't buy vehicles with high miles anymore unless it was cash and not a primary vehicle.
i just started a new job, so im not 100% sure on the miles. just to work would be about 7800. I have a truck that i use on the weekends, and to haul the boat, but it doesnt see much road time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's just way to many miles for the year. IMO
I would pass on that one!!!!!!!!!!

Check out craigslist, car gurus and the truck trader for Wranglers in your area....:thumb:
oh trust me, i have been. every.single.day.

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
If you can get in touch with the sales manager (Star, that's you!!) have him do the engine hour hack. Then you can take the mileage divide by engine hours to find the previous owners average speed. If it's around 45-60 mph then I think I would be ok with it if it has everything you want at a fair price. If it's over that my guess is the previous owner was probably fairly aggressive driver constantly speeding. Guess what I'm saying is high mileage with low hours, highway use; low miles with high hours, probably off-road quite a bit and more to look for damage wise...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was hoping it was flat tow miles, but i dont think that is the case.

ive never owned a jeep. what would i need to look for with 80k on it? what breaks first besides offroad damage.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts