Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide if I should Powder coat or Plasti dip my stock 2014 Sahara wheels. I can get them Power coated for $70 per wheel through a friend of a friend deal. Just trying to decide if I want to save the extra money by plasti dipping to spend on other goodies. Opinions?

·
Registered
392 Posts
If your sure of the color you want, powder coat all the way. Plastidip held up good on my wheels for about a year until I had to have them rebalanced. Because of moving the weights, I had a choice of redoing the plastidip or going back silver. I pulled the plastidip and found out I liked the wheels silver better anyway.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I think to powder coat your wheels someone will have to pull the tires off, and they'll need to be re-balanced. Plus there is the prep-work of removing the existing balance weights. Have you factored those costs in?

I've plastidipped several sets of wheels. It takes some time and some care, but it is easily doable if you can follow Youtube instructions. I think it is a least a day long process (pulling the wheels off, washing them well, prepping and taping them, then multiple coats of dip). I'd think plastidip isn't as durable as powder coating (but I have black powder coated wheels that have certainly scratched and chipped) but plastidip is easy to repair.

I think it depends on how much you value your time, how price sensitive you are, and if the idea of a DIY project sounds great, or more like a chore.

I replaced my wheels, but if I wanted black wheels, based on my experience, I'd plastidip 'em. And while I am a cheap SOB, money wouldn't be an object to having them powder coated.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Plasti dip first. See how you like the look of black. Then you can do the powder coat on the next set of tires.

If you like the black plastic dip I'm guessing ur gonna be thinking aftermarket wheels. Now think if you spent $350 on powder coating and ur still thinking aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have plastic dipped my wheels and thought, I like the black, I should just not worry about the maintenance of the dip or redoing it down the line, I should just get some sweet black wheels and be done w it.

Then I think the same thing that tore my dip up on the trail would be scratching up those sweet wheels.

Dip and dip again I say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts