Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being as I've read the black ACE liners chip really easy, aren't in stock, and cost more $, I'm thinking about trying my luck once more with bare aluminum and powder coating myself. Anyone done it, what's best way to powder coat bare aluminum?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sand blast it to get an even, clean surface. Then clean it with some Simple Green to get any remaining grease off. Then powder coat it. I get bet results with a light first coat cured for half the amount of time called for. Then apply a normal 2nd coat and cure for the full time. That tends to reduce orange peel.

prismaticpowders.com has some nice grippy matte black called SuperGrip Black.
allpowderpaints.com has some Jeep color matched powder.

Post up pics when you are done.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You are in Austin? Check out TechShop.ws There is a location in Austin and they have a legit oven and powder coating booth that you can use if you take the safety class and at least pay for a day pass. I am a member at the location in DC and know some ppl down at the Austin location.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for advice, but I'll be honest I was looking for cheap and fast. Lol, I was hoping some black bedliner, guess not. This kinda deletes savings of buying bare vs. black. The black is only $24 more. Looks like I'll be buying black. Not interested in taking any safety class, appreciate the info though, just thought it'd be easier.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For any who care, I decided on buying ACE bare aluminum again and going to install just like that. Think it might just look mean on Rhino Jeep.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I just had my aluminum dune flag pole holder professionally powder coated. Aluminum can be powder coated, it wasn't inexpensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts