Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a 2002 Wrangler and the whilst I love it, it is a bit down on power. I tried to tow an empty box trailer and for 4.0 engine, battled to get it up a hill! Empty at around 600kg! With my foot through the floor, on a flat road it barely can manage 60mph.

I've been looking at ways to boost the power without doing too much like adding turbos etc but thought would see what you guys thought. Its been mentioned that I could fit a new high flow air intake or change the current fan for a electric fan. Any thoughts? Any don't do's or stay away froms? Apart from adons, is it a good idea to remap the chip?

Thanks for all your wonderful advice in advance!

Cheers

·
Registered
237 Posts
Bonks, there are many threads on this and everything comes down to short of a supercharger you can't do much. The air intake already provides more air than the engine can consume, so other than sounding cool it won't add much. Chipping it I doubt will have any effect. Other than regearing for towing you are now talking money. Search the threads and you'll see all kinds of thoughts and opinions, but this pretty sums up most. It's a Jeep. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bonks, there are many threads on this and everything comes down to short of a supercharger you can't do much. The air intake already provides more air than the engine can consume, so other than sounding cool it won't add much. Chipping it I doubt will have any effect. Other than regearing for towing you are now talking money. Search the threads and you'll see all kinds of thoughts and opinions, but this pretty sums up most. It's a Jeep. Good luck
Cheers Slush2, whilst I'm not looking to fly up the hill at 100mph, I just wondered if there was any general trick but as ou say, a supercharger is the way forward. I'll probably just leave the Jeep as it is and enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Back to basics. What size tire are you running, what gears are in it. Manual or auto.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Hi all

I have a 2002 Wrangler and the whilst I love it, it is a bit down on power. I tried to tow an empty box trailer and for 4.0 engine, battled to get it up a hill! Empty at around 600kg! With my foot through the floor, on a flat road it barely can manage 60mph.
Sounds perfectly normal. If you've got larger tires you will need to regear.

I used to tow this 3000lb trailer with my Jeep. mods for towing are 4.88 gears, trans temp gauge, big trans cooler, Vanco brakes, trailer brakes w/ controller, reinforced bumper/hitch w/ frame tie-ins and airlift load leveling airbags in rear.

It was terribly underpowered and the engine spent lots of time above 3500rpms straining to keep some resemblance of highway speed.

I fixed the problem by buying a Dodge pickup w/ Cummins diesel....now towing the trailer is not a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts