Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight problem with my Jeep.

I power washed my Jeep, including the undercarriage. When to start it up, turned the key, blower and lights came on for half a second, then no power. I popped the hood, touched the positive terminal, then the power came back.

Ran normal for about a week, then got it in it one day, turned the key, and the same thing happened. Opened the hood, went for the rod, and the power came back.

It has been cold here, 5 to 30 degrees. The day the second occurrence happened, it may have been slightly above freezing.

Any ideas what happening? Hasn't really been a problem and not hard to fix, I just don't want it to become a problem at a bad time.

Another issue, maybe related, when its cold, the oil gauge and charge gauge light come on, but the tank level and temp gauge will stay off for about 10 minutes of driving. Then they come on on their own.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you're injected you may have gotten water into your ECU harness. That will wreak havoc on everything electrical. Remove the harness connector above the ECU and look for moisture. Dry it and apply some fresh dielectric grease.
Also check under your distributor cap and ignition wire boots for moisture.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Clean and tighten the battery terminals....you answered your own question....""I popped the hood, touched the positive terminal, then the power came back."" also what wrangler haven said..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
the second time you didn't touvh anything, right? do you a work light attached to the hood?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery terminals are clean and I have the red anti-corrosion spray on them. I did this about 2 months ago.

Yes, the second time I opened the hood and when I reached for the prop rod, the light came on.

Yes, there is a small light under the hood.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
i'd take a real god look at the light socket. it has a merc switch in it to turn the light on when the hood opens. you may be shorting to ground when the hood is closed. just a thought.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Its a possibility that although the terminals are good and clean, the cables themselves might be shot ( corroded on the inside). If they are stiff or discolored its a good chance they are bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts