Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my transmission with a reman. New Luk clutch kit. When I went for test drive, it started kicking in and out of power. You can also hear the sound of like a sandpaper grinding noise. Like a pad hung up. I'm sure the trans is gotta come back out, but I'm not sure what to look for. Clutch, throwout bearing, or transmission problem? It shifts fine, and when you let the clutch out it's fine, but then it's almost as if the clutch is stuck in the sweet spot and the power just kicks in and then out randomly. I've searched the web and can't find anything. One guy on a Facebook post said the clutch disc may be backwards. Not allowing it to engage or disengage properly. I'm hoping the gods of wrangler forum can help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The "grinding" noise, and I hate to say that, it just sounds like sandpaper, is coming from the transmission area, not from an actual brake pad.

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
Bad clutch slips or chatters does not effect power
Is it slipping?
Stomp on gas at freeway speed in a high gear (don’t touch clutch) if at first get rpm rise without vehicle speed increase clutch is slipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I'm not explaining right...it's not a slip. And maybe not a loss of power. It's basically like your driving and just push the clutch in real fast and let it out. And it just happens randomly, but quite often. Otherwise, when it's not doing it, it drives and shifts perfect. I haven't driven it far, maybe a few blocks and back twice. Got back the second time and I think it smelled like clutch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the shafts out, starter, slave, skid plate, shifter, and started unhooking wires...found the bolts for the crank shaft positioning sensor were only started. tighten them down, put it all back together and it's perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts