Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find a power line that is activated when the vehicle is turned off..I'm assuming the security system activates when we lock our doors so there must be power somewhere.

I want to instal a blue flashing led light much as you see with aftermarket alarm systems. So I need to find power to the led that will allow it to start flashing when I lock the doors but will stop flashing when I unlock/start the vehicle

Cheers
Al

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
On my 08 there are two 'cigarette lighters', one of which is powered all the time and the other is powered with the ignition. The piggy back that Quadretec sells works on either plug. It is my understanding this is the best source of power for that model year.

I have not looked specifically for this, but for some reason, I don't think the 16 has two power outlets. I'll have to look. I do know that the electrical systems have gotten more and more completicated and fragile. Be careful where you pull power from.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeepnboy

What I'm looking for is a power source that only comes on when the key is out of the ignition and the doors locked. There must be one somewhere because the alarm system isn't on all the time (I think), but does power up when the door/lock button is activated on the remote

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Silvercreek

Does the vehicle alarm system not activate when we close and lock the doors. If that's the case there must be a wire that becomes hot when everything is else is switched off..Can you expand on your thoughts with a relay.

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
You could do a relay. Connect up the power that's only active when the ignition is 'on' to the coil, connect up power that's always 'on' to the common contact, and the Normally Closed (NC) contact connect to your LED (such becomes the "IGNITION-OFF HOT" wire).

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Hi Silvercreek

Does the vehicle alarm system not activate when we close and lock the doors. If that's the case there must be a wire that becomes hot when everything is else is switched off..Can you expand on your thoughts with a relay.

Cheers
Al
The alarm isn't going to really be "power on/power off" since it's computer controlled. It's going to be networked and all kinds of funky CANBUS integrated; you'll never find an "IGNITION-OFF HOT" wire that turns it on.

There is a fuse under the hood you can tap for "IGNITION-ON HOT" - as mentioned, I'd run that through a relay so that the relay is "open" while hot and "closed" while off.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hi Silvercreek

Cheers
Al
I don't know enough about alarm systems. There are 12 volt circuits in our Jeeps that have 12v power with the ignition off but it also have power with the ignition on. I'm not sure how a security system works. The 12 volt power plug on the dash has full-time power as well as the 12 volt power plug in the cargo bay next to my subwoofer. If the security system has to have no power with the ignition on then the only way to do that is with a relay.

Doesn't the alarm system instruction tell you how to do that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts