Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's a yellow 25 amp fuse, I tried both cigarette power outlets, I have standard 300 psi inflators, I tried several. whenever I try to pump the tires, after a minute or so the fuse goes out. I tried this with both engine on and off. I tried a 30 amp fuse, same thing. Is it safe to try a hire amp fuse, like a 40, or higher or am I gonna cause damage to the electrical wiring for the outlets? I've never had this issue with any other car I owned. this is for a 12 JK. it just doesn't like the load. anyone had this issue and fixed it?

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
it's a yellow 25 amp fuse, I tried both cigarette power outlets, I have standard 300 psi inflators, I tried several. whenever I try to pump the tires, after a minute or so the fuse goes out. I tried this with both engine on and off. I tried a 30 amp fuse, same thing. Is it safe to try a hire amp fuse, like a 40, or higher or am I gonna cause damage to the electrical wiring for the outlets? I've never had this issue with any other car I owned. this is for a 12 JK. it just doesn't like the load. anyone had this issue and fixed it?
Check your owners manual.

For my 2014 they're rated at 13 amp. DO NOT exceed that by adding larger fuses.

The solution is to hard wire your compressor using a fuse and the appropriate gauge wire for the length of your cable. Add in a relay if you want to get fancy. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
manual says it's "fuse 20 A yellow" so my original post said 25 by mistake..yes, I've been using the yellow 20 and they always blow as did the 30 I tried one time.

I just find it odd that the JK is the only one that blows a fuse out of all the cars I've owned, when inflating a tire.

I will hardwire the compressor directly to the battery. what do you suggest would be the correct fuse for that?

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
As a rule, it is not safe to replace a fuse that blows with a higher amperage fuse. That would not be a good idea. Your compressor may be heating up and drawing more amperage than what the system is designed to provide. The wiring is of a certain size and certain rating. A higher amperage fuse could allow the wires to get too hot and start a fire.
Either connect the compressor directly to the battery, through a properly rated fuse, or use a different compressor.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
manual says it's "fuse 20 A yellow" so my original post said 25 by mistake..yes, I've been using the yellow 20 and they always blow as did the 30 I tried one time.

I just find it odd that the JK is the only one that blows a fuse out of all the cars I've owned, when inflating a tire.

I will hardwire the compressor directly to the battery. what do you suggest would be the correct fuse for that?
The correct fuse and wiring depends on the requirements of your compressor. What sort of amperage does your particular compressor require? You didn't even tell us what you're trying to use. You have the compressor, we don't, so read up and find out.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
You need to figure out what amps your compressor draws and size the fuse and wiring appropriately. I use the same one @Bluebabysound uses and just hook directly to the battery. I'll bet the compressor is drawing way more amperage that the fuse allows. DO NOT exceed the factory recommended fuse. Good way to burn it all down.

That little red one up there draws 30 amps max.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If you look at a website for a well respected air compressor manufacturer, Viair for example https://www.viaircorp.com/portables you’ll see that their compressors change from plug into outlet type to connect directly to battery type based on the compressors intended tire size application. You may be using a compressor intended for smaller tires than you have and you’re pushing the compressor beyond its intended use. Years ago I was using a “Walmart special” cheap compressor to air up ties on my car and the plug melted and shorted out, luckily not starting a fire. I removed the plug and used that compressor for a few more years connecting it directly to the battery. You also need to look at duty cycles or how many minutes you can pump before letting it rest for an equal amount of time or you’ll burn the compressor up.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Fuses are specifically designed and installed to protect the wiring. A certain gauge wire is MATCHED with a certain sized fuse. You can't run a larger fuse unless you enlarge the wiring. If you do you run the risk of over heating the wire.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had this issue just the other day. I was not running the air compressor that long but it blew. This is the second time I have had that happen just taking a tire up a couple of PSI.

Could be worse, I bought my grand daughter a Jeep Renegade it comes with a tire inflator instead of a spare. Using that compressor supplied with the car to bring a tire up 5 psi and the fuse blew. This 20 amp fuse is in a box underneath the dash. Hard to reach and a PITA if you have normal sized hands. Got it changed with several cuts on my hands. Her car now has a full size spare , jack and the compressor.

For both vehicles I carry at least 5 spare 20 amp fuses. I think connecting directly to the battery is the only way to avoid this issue. At least with the JKU you don't end up laying on your back , pulling a cramp and cutting your hands.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered the adapter Rubicon1785 posted a link to, I got the eyelet version, only 7 bucks, it's the simplest quickest solution, vs. me calculating amps and splicing wires, thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts