Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive with the top off all summer, so everything I buy for my Jeep I have to think about rain.

I’m considering buying a device like the Goal Zero power “generator” (e.g., https://www.rei.com/product/862517/goal-zero-yeti-150-portable-power-generator) but I’d like to find something I don’t have to worry about putting into a bag if it’s going to rain.

I don’t need to be able to use it while exposed to rain, but it shouldn’t have all of its ports open when it’s not in use.

Any experiences/suggestions?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Power generator is very misleading, does not generate any power but just stores it in a rechargeable battery. It has a 150 watt inverter to convert 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC which is not enough to run more than the smallest non inductive devices. IMO one of many lithium powered jump starters would be a much better option, smaller, lighter easy to store with the same features plus the ability to jump start your vehicle if your battery is dead.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I too am interested in extra power to run my fridge and accessories.

With that I am considering the Jackery 240 and the https://www.amazon.com/Rockpals-Portable-Generator-Flashlight-Emergency/dp/B07FFNTGZ6/ref=pd_cp_86_4?pd_rd_w=kSaIN&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=TH2Z3YFKCTX8QSWSZ6NS&pd_rd_r=d11f3a7d-0115-4748-bc9d-4e4558e2f5e2&pd_rd_wg=IptxK&pd_rd_i=B07FFNTGZ6&psc=1&refRID=TH2Z3YFKCTX8QSWSZ6NS.

Since you are wanting it have a high exposure rating also consider a dual battery setup that would isolate your source to a dryer portion of the vehicle. You would probably move back to a weather resistant fuse panel that could feet to weather proof adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Offroad-Jeep-Battery-Isolator/dp/B00N23QWI6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dual+battery+jk&qid=1565179308&s=gateway&sr=8-2

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve given thought to a dual battery setup but I want something separable from the Jeep.

Unfortunately there’s no good search term I can find to help me search for the larger power banks, so everything I find that’s water resistant are the small models that can handle phones. The quest continues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I drive with the top off all summer, so everything I buy for my Jeep I have to think about rain.

I’m considering buying a device like the Goal Zero power “generator” (e.g., https://www.rei.com/product/862517/goal-zero-yeti-150-portable-power-generator) but I’d like to find something I don’t have to worry about putting into a bag if it’s going to rain.

I don’t need to be able to use it while exposed to rain, but it shouldn’t have all of its ports open when it’s not in use.

Any experiences/suggestions?
Mac, I don't have an answer for your question, but based on your initial comment, I have a question for you.

I posted a thread yesterday asking people about the best "waterproof" head unit for a stereo, because I just had my 2nd one fried by a pop up storm. What are you using since like you said, you are operating top down all the time and have to worry about rain periodically.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I posted a thread yesterday asking people about the best "waterproof" head unit for a stereo, because I just had my 2nd one fried by a pop up storm. What are you using since like you said, you are operating top down all the time and have to worry about rain periodically.
That's been quite a mess. Basically I buy something cheap with the features I want and wait for it to die.

The first one lasted a year. Then I decided to buy a marine unit, because of course that'd be more robust, right?

It didn't last the summer before buttons stopped working. Ridiculous.

I currently have something cheap that's lasted for maybe 3 years now. It's a little clunky but mostly functional, and when it dies, I'll buy another cheap one.

I'd like to get a CarPlay unit, but that's a lot of money to spend on something that might not last more than a few months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts