Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this past weekend, i was having slight loss of power steering on my jku. in a parking lot, i was having a difficult time turning while backing up. i checked the fluid and it was a touch low, but also smelled quite burnt. im thinking i need a power steering cooler for my jku, so was wondering if a transmission cooler from the junkyard would work for that? there are some 6 pass trans/ps coolers on ebay for about $35, but i could likely snag one from a junkyard for a bit less.

i still have stock steering on 37's (soon to be 40's) and lockers front and rear.

anyone run an inexpensive power steering cooler, and did it make a difference?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
this past weekend, i was having slight loss of power steering on my jku. in a parking lot, i was having a difficult time turning while backing up. i checked the fluid and it was a touch low, but also smelled quite burnt. im thinking i need a power steering cooler for my jku, so was wondering if a transmission cooler from the junkyard would work for that? there are some 6 pass trans/ps coolers on ebay for about $35, but i could likely snag one from a junkyard for a bit less.

i still have stock steering on 37's (soon to be 40's) and lockers front and rear.

anyone run an inexpensive power steering cooler, and did it make a difference?

PSC offers a kit. If you go used make sure you flush it out well.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
A new cooler is cheap, and better than one from a yard with who knows what inside, IMHO.

You're asking a lot of a stock pump to steer 40s with the associated low backspace and poor scrub radius, though. Might be time to weld a ram to that axle.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
going to use the 4.5" backspace wheels i already have because my one tons are 5.5" wider than stock as is. it also has 1/4" bracketry, so i can bolt a ram to the stabilizer mount. i just need to get one and port my box for it sometime.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
going to use the 4.5" backspace wheels i already have because my one tons are 5.5" wider than stock as is. it also has 1/4" bracketry, so i can bolt a ram to the stabilizer mount. i just need to get one and port my box for it sometime.
Nice!! I set my 4Runner up the same way, though on full width axles, not tons. (Custom housings with Toyota-derived running gear). With 16.5" wide 39.5" Pitbulls at <4psi, I still couldn't turn them, and got tired of burning up pumps trying. A PSC pump and ram solved that problem completely, and the 4.5" BS wheels do take some of the stress off the steering components.

Mark

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
PS fluid gets hot quick under the load of turning 37's.

You need the flow, not sure a trans cooler will give you enough flow. I run the PSC cooler and it works like a champ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts