Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I f****d up...
I was in a rush last week (yes, LAST WEEK) and accidentally put some power steering fluid in with my brake fluid and have been driving like that since. I know adding power steering fluid can be devastating to the brake system; I just realized it when my brakes started to get spongy.
Is there anything I can do about this aside from replacing anything?
Keep in mind that I only added about half an once to an ounce.

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
flush it out and refill it...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, you would only need to do it "just once", as follows, as you are replacing all the fluid:

I would go buy at least 100 oz of proper brake fluid. Turkey baster or mityvac as much out of the master reservoir as you can, and add in new til full. Then, go down to each of the brakes with a clear tubing and proper size wrench on the bleed valve, and a catch jar. Have a buddy sit in the seat, engine off, and pump brakes and hold. Loosen the bleed valve then tighten when buddy's foot hits the floor. Repeat a couple dozen times until clear fluid running out the tubing. Go to the next brake and repeat. Keep filling the reservoir (DO NOT LET IT RUN DRY). Or, without a buddy, buy a mityvac or other vacuum bleder with brake bleeder attachement and let it "suck out" old fluid. Recycle the old fluid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you would only need to do it "just once", as follows, as you are replacing all the fluid:

I would go buy at least 100 oz of proper brake fluid. Turkey baster or mityvac as much out of the master reservoir as you can, and add in new til full. Then, go down to each of the brakes with a clear tubing and proper size wrench on the bleed valve, and a catch jar. Have a buddy sit in the seat, engine off, and pump brakes and hold. Loosen the bleed valve then tighten when buddy's foot hits the floor. Repeat a couple dozen times until clear fluid running out the tubing. Go to the next brake and repeat. Keep filling the reservoir (DO NOT LET IT RUN DRY). Or, without a buddy, buy a mityvac or other vacuum bleder with brake bleeder attachement and let it "suck out" old fluid. Recycle the old fluid.
That was incredibly specific. Thank you so much for your input, it's much appreciated. I will get on that ASAP.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have a mityvac but I use something like this which works a bit easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-31119A-Vacuum-Brake-Bleeder/dp/B00ESN7VVG

It slowly pulls one wheel through at a time. One person operation (needs a compressor), but works perfectly.

Connect it, turn on the compressor (which creates a vacuum), open the bleeder and slowly fill MC. Tighten bleeder when fluid comes out crystal clear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts