Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a video or tutorial on flushing the power steering fluid? Mine is almost dark as oil and needs to be flushed and have new fluid added. Also, what fluid do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
There is the right way, then there is my way. The proper way is to remove the coil wire, remove the low pressure hose and place it in a bucket, open the tank and have someone crank the engine over (out of gear) while you pour new fluid in, when the fluid runs out clean hook everything back up and top off.
My way is use a turkey baster to remove the fluid from the tank, refill and turn the motor on moving the wheel back and forth, repeat till the fluid is as clear as you want. Again this is not the proper way but is easy and cleans up the fluid pretty well.
I'd just use PS fluid from your local store or Mopar from the dealership

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Either use ATF 4 for Chrysler vehicles, or the correct Mopar power steering fluid. Don't use general ATF or PSF. Make sure it specifies for Chrysler vehicles. I bought Castrol ATF+4 because I like Castrol, it was on sale, and my transfer case takes it too, so the extra fluid wouldn't go to waste.

For the flush, disconnect the return line to the master cylinder. It is the line coming from the steering box. The high pressure line is going to the power steering pump. I accidentally disconnected this one instead...

Catch the fluid coming out of the master cylinder, and put the low pressure hose/return line into a bucket. Turn the wheel with the Jeep running, then refill as needed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you all! I had contacted Midas and asked for an estimate and they wanted $79 total. I am going to do it myself. I have done everything else myself and it makes me feel a sense of accomplishment. I have had help with a lift, but have done some other things to it that I haven't done before which makes it fun!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Thanks you all! I had contacted Midas and asked for an estimate and they wanted $79 total. I am going to do it myself. I have done everything else myself and it makes me feel a sense of accomplishment. I have had help with a lift, but have done some other things to it that I haven't done before which makes it fun!
A DIY power steering flush is one of the biggest money-savers. It's easy and you don't need special tools. If you had nothing at all tool-wise, you could get away with only a $5 set of pliers. A PSF flush was actually the first maintenance thing I've done to a vehicle other than oil changes. It sounds complicated which is why automotive shops can charge so much. I don't want to bash shops and how they make money because I might be working at Midas this summer... If a place only charges $20 for an oil change, the money has to come somewhere else. The Midas manager said that brakes are a big part of their profit, I thought it would be exhaust.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Breaks yeah, they'll sell you a front break job for $69.95 and then when it's torn down, tell you it has to have Rotors and when done it Cost $399.95, LOL. You can buy good rotors for less than $50.00 each.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts