Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to put a gear box on my 09 JK. Stealership wants $1,000 and Salvage yard wants $400 for a used one. Are they worth rebuilding? Not sure if I can adjust the slack out of it or not. When holding the wheel straight is sways left and right. When turning into driveway the wheel jerks back and forth at full turn. Synergy Drag link and Ball joints less than a year old. Disconnected Stabilizer but still does the same think. Has 75K miles on her. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not tried that yet. I will try it this afternoon. Will that tell me that I should to adjust the screw?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Call west Texas off-road. I have no experience w them but I have read good things about them. They rebuild and sale stock ones. Might save you some $.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I'd check the whole steering system top to bottom before swapping out gear boxes. Loose steering joints or, if they're still using them, a failing rag joint in the steering shaft are a more likely source of loose steering than the gear box.

It might not hurt to go to an independent shop and find out for sure.

If it is actually the steering gear box then it's worth looking at the local parts stores for a remanufactured replacement. They're usually cheaper there than anywhere else and just as good.

If you're a decent shade tree mechanic with a good set of basic tools, rebuilding a gear box isn't a huge challenge. You just have to be careful with a few of the bits while you're doing the work.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive heard it both ways.. Good idea and not a good idea. A member here bought a box from Advanced/AutoZone for a few hundred. Any mods done to the jeep ?
Autozone has one for $263 with exchange. If I didn't have a metal plate and pins put in my wrist and arm a few months ago I would try and rebuild it. I have a four inch lift with a Synergy Flipped Drag link and ball joints. Both replaced about a year ago. Thought my SS was binding up but after removed still did the same thing

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd check the whole steering system top to bottom before swapping out gear boxes. Loose steering joints or, if they're still using them, a failing rag joint in the steering shaft are a more likely source of loose steering than the gear box. It might not hurt to go to an independent shop and find out for sure. If it is actually the steering gear box then it's worth looking at the local parts stores for a remanufactured replacement. They're usually cheaper there than anywhere else and just as good. If you're a decent shade tree mechanic with a good set of basic tools, rebuilding a gear box isn't a huge challenge. You just have to be careful with a few of the bits while you're doing the work.
I'm gonna try and tighten it up and hope it holds up until my wrist heels up. With the wheel grinding and jerking I should just park it until I replace it. All TREs are good. Not worth taking a life over.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mentioned above West Texas off road
image-2771618236.jpg

I just found where the tie rod end goes into the threaded part of this crush sleeve is really loose like it's broke inside. The bolt is tight that holds the clamp together. I'm gonna break it loose and see what's going on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stock tie rod?
Yes. This is another issue I found. The adjustment collar was jacked up. I could slide the TRE in and and and side to side. When I set my toe is it 1/4 or 1/8" toe out? I plan on adjusting my screw on my PS gear box about 1/8 of a turn. Maybe it will take some slack out

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Yes. This is another issue I found. The adjustment collar was jacked up. I could slide the TRE in and and and side to side. When I set my toe is it 1/4 or 1/8" toe out? I plan on adjusting my screw on my PS gear box about 1/8 of a turn. Maybe it will take some slack out
Why mess with the box. Fix the tie rod first.
FWIW, you can buy the Crown tie rod for $125 from Extreme terrain.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why mess with the box. Fix the tie rod first. FWIW, you can buy the Crown tie rod for $125 from Extreme terrain.
I guess I'm trying to fix to many things at one time. I replaced the TRE and set my toe. It needed to be done. I made a few adjustments to my gear box but no changes. It seems my pump is going out. Feels like manual steering only. Real tight and I have to straighten the wheel back up after turns. The pump is not leaking or making noise. I may try draining it and will put some new fluid or add some Lucas to it and try that.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I would recommend staying away from the cheap steering gearbox. Unless you don't mind replacing it fairly often. Coming from the Dodge Diesel world this is a common mopar issue, so the best out there for your money is Redhead. Not as expensive as a Borgenson, but just as good or better. No affiliation to me, just a product user.

Red-Head Steering Gears - Custom Rebuilt Steering Gear Boxes in USA

·
Registered
280 Posts
i have an '11 JKUr that I have recently bent the sector shaft upon. I've been driving it with my power assist kill-switch enabled for three months & finally got tired of dealing with a go-kart on 37" tires ( scary in traffic)
I bought the PSC steering gear-box which is tapped for hydraulic assist since my '11 has the un-rebuildable chinese steering gear-box ( unlike your '09 which the delphi box can be rebuilt for) and am running it as the replacement until I part-piece-meal together my assisted steering over the winter to go assisted in Spring. Not the cheapest option but if you're wheeling hard enough to break a steering gearbox, kinda logical to go assisted......just a thought.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have an '11 JKUr that I have recently bent the sector shaft upon. I've been driving it with my power assist kill-switch enabled for three months & finally got tired of dealing with a go-kart on 37" tires ( scary in traffic) I bought the PSC steering gear-box which is tapped for hydraulic assist since my '11 has the un-rebuildable chinese steering gear-box ( unlike your '09 which the delphi box can be rebuilt for) and am running it as the replacement until I part-piece-meal together my assisted steering over the winter to go assisted in Spring. Not the cheapest option but if you're wheeling hard enough to break a steering gearbox, kinda logical to go assisted......just a thought.....
thanks

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
West Texas Offroad is a less expensive option for hydro assist if you decide to go that route. They'll sell you the box that is drilled and tapped, and all the other components as well if you need them. I've been running their system since I switched to 35's and highly recommend it. I can park with the tire touching a curb, turn the wheel with one finger and push the whole Jeep laterally. Their customer service has been amazing as well.

I would suggest a power steering cooler if you go with hydro assist. I ate up a box and a pump faster than I should have or would have if I had the cooler then. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan

1 - 20 of 41 Posts