Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some trouble with the power steering on my 2007 JKU. With the engine at idle I have little or no power in the steering. If I kick the gas and get the revs up above about 1,000 RPM everything seems normal.

Fluid level in the reservoir seems normal.

There is a sound if I try to turn the wheel at idle, but it's not the squeal sound that's classic for a failed pump, I'd say it's more of a buzz or clicking noise.

Anyone have ideas? Should I just replace the pump and see what happens or is there something I can diagnose to see what the deal is?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I would replace the pump. You can probably wait until it gets worse if you want, but I'm sure it will become worse over time. Maybe it's more cold weather related, hard to say. Since it doesn't take much to go from idle to 1K rpm's it's up to you whether you want to address it now or later. Since it's not normal I would take care of it now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Kik. I was out of town a couple days for Christmas and didn't get back to it until today. I changed out the pump and now it's working good as new.

Tip for anyone else changing the power steering pump, you need a special tool to remove the pulley from the shaft. It's not the usual 3 jaw pulley puller, it's a special one just for power steering pumps. Autozone had it available to rent and it worked out fine.

Bonus tip: Make sure you grease the shaft before you install the pulley on the new pump. Otherwise it's a real bitch.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Thanks for the help Kik. I was out of town a couple days for Christmas and didn't get back to it until today. I changed out the pump and now it's working good as new.

Tip for anyone else changing the power steering pump, you need a special tool to remove the pulley from the shaft. It's not the usual 3 jaw pulley puller, it's a special one just for power steering pumps. Autozone had it available to rent and it worked out fine.

Bonus tip: Make sure you grease the shaft before you install the pulley on the new pump. Otherwise it's a real bitch.
Yes, and be really careful. A buddy broke the end of the installation tool off in his pump. Autozone didnt notice when he returned it:lmao:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts