Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering pump has a noticeable leak at the bottom of the PSP. The leak is running down the pitman arm at this point. It is not dripping on the ground yet but I think it will be soon. There used to be a small moist area that would collect dust but it has noticeably worsened. I don't have any experience with working PSP and I have basic mechanic skills.

Questions:
1) how difficult is it to replace (shop or DIY)?

2) Is there a difference between OEM & aftermarket PSPs or rebuilds?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply blueguy.

Does anyone have information on the 1998-99 Durango power steering pumps on JKs?

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, well that might be important to get right. LOL. Thanks Bob

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Last I checked a box was $200-300 on rock auto. Make sure that you order one that is specifically for your jeep. The newer Chinese boxes are supposed to be not as good, but mine has not failed me. You have the "good" box, I dont know if you can get an exact replacement but I cant see why not.

You will need a pitman puller, available at most auto parts stores. That's really the only specialty tool, its a pretty easy job that can be done in a few hours.

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-27022-Tie-Pitman-Puller/dp/B004FEPCFA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435546243&sr=8-4&keywords=pitman+puller

·
Registered
511 Posts
Your box is rebuildable(should be a Delphi box). You live in Austin. Call up the West Texas Offroad guys(redneck ram) and get your box rebuilt.

And as far as difficulty of the swap, its not to bad, but would probably take half a day.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll check with West Texas Offroad but my Jeep is a daily driver so I wouldn't be able to wait on my gear box to get rebuilt. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rebuild of your gear box is $160, new one $700, I would try to find a way to be without a jeep for a few weeks for $550 . but I'm cheep

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Rebuild of your gear box is $160, new one $700, I would try to find a way to be without a jeep for a few weeks for $550 . but I'm cheep
Steering boxes are a lot cheaper than that. I have seen them on rock auto for less than $300. Heck my f250s box was $150 after core

·
Registered
132 Posts
Steering boxes are a lot cheaper than that. I have seen them on rock auto for less than $300. Heck my f250s box was $150 after core
That prices are for the box new from some places i trust, not refurbished. not talking about swaps or core

1 - 13 of 13 Posts