Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace my power steering pump pulley on my 2004 wrangler 4 cylinder 2.4L. There seems to be sufficient room to work with, however, my questions are: can I use a power drill and not an air impact drill in conjunction with the pulley remover tool to remove/install the pulley, and if I use a right angle drill, will there be enough room to remove/install the pulley without removing the power steerign pump? Also, how do you know when the pulley is on tightly enough? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
Impact wrenches work so well at that type of job because of their instantaneous application of their large amount of available torque to the nut. An impact wrench spins the nut so fast the rest of the pump can't keep up so the nut spins off easily compared to sometimes being nearly impossible with other means. A power drill does not have that same ability, it would be more frustrating than useful.

I can't say exactly how to tell when the pulley is on tight enough but it does need to be tight.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Most times with the puller it will pull pretty hard & it will take a fairly strong impact to pull it usually I just do it with hand tools ,buy or rent the special puller & never hammer on the pulley or pump shaft, In most cases the pulley will be fully on when the pump shaft is level with the front of the pulley

·
Registered
80 Posts
My puller kit instructions specifically state "Do NOT use an impact driver".

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
That is a light-duty only type puller. Most pullers made for that job are designed to be used with an impact wrench. Commercial shops use impact wrenches for that kind of job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received my replacement pulley today, going to try and replace it tomorrow. One concern i have though is that the squealing I hear is not the pulley put the pump. There are no abnormal noises when I turn, but it seems to sqeal more when in gear. I was just curious to know what the chances are that the noise is the pump itself and not a problem with the pulley. Any ideas?

·
Registered
288 Posts
power steering pully

Have you cleaned the belt surface and the pulley surface on all the pulleys etc?After mounting a pulley I do this just to make sure there is no oil,WD40 or whatever on them.I usually wash the belt with soap ,water and brush. I take a brass wire brush and hit the 360 degrees of each pully etc with the brush.If it can squeak I have the luck of hearing mine before I'm through.Also I though the pulley will bottom out at the correct point to line up the belt correctly.That what I do.Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not cleaned them. The belt is new as well as the tensioner and the idler pulleys. the only pulleys that are original are the crankshaft, a/c, alternator, and power steering. I noticed when I took the belt off and wiggled the old ps pulley back and forth slightly there is a minor tapping noise. Is that normal? Maybe that is what is causing the squeal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts