Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really stumped on the removal of my power steering pump. I've taken my s. belt off

...and my first question is now, for the removal of the power steering pump, the two bolts that connect it to the intake manifold on the top, do they take FOREVER to get out? I worked out the first one fairly quickly, but the second one is taking quite a while. And then there is one more underneath the pump, right?

Second question, in order to get the intake manifold off, are there bolts underneath it (the bottom of the intake manifold that lines up against the exhaust manifold? or are there just bolts on the top of the I. Manifold? Again, just worried about breaking something by being forceful. I'm nearly at the exhaust manifold.... so close.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It has been a while since I replaced my p.s. pump, but I do seem to remember the bolts taking a while to back out. Also, the exhaust manifold has bolts on top and underneath. A couple are really tricky to get a wrench to.

·
Registered
341 Posts
rjpark36 said:
It has been a while since I replaced my p.s. pump, but I do seem to remember the bolts taking a while to back out. Also, the exhaust manifold has bolts on top and underneath. A couple are really tricky to get a wrench to.
Sorry, I thought you wee asking about removing the exhaust manifold. I would have to go look to see about the intake manifold. Hopefully somebody with a better memory than mine will chime in. Good luck!

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks rjpark36. I was able to get the pump off. I was actually asking about the intake manifold, just had trouble wording what I was looking for. Getting underneath the intake manifold is going to be really hard, but Im thinking putting it back on will be even harder! I don't even know if I can get all the bolts out from underneath!

·
Registered
312 Posts
YHSublime said:
I'm really stumped on the removal of my power steering pump. I've taken my s. belt off

...and my first question is now, for the removal of the power steering pump, the two bolts that connect it to the intake manifold on the top, do they take FOREVER to get out? I worked out the first one fairly quickly, but the second one is taking quite a while. And then there is one more underneath the pump,

I just did mine and it's just the three bolts. None were difficult. Just used a socket through the holes it the pulley.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't know why my reply was in your quote, but I hope it helps anyways.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jeepsrgreat, I was able to get the steering pump out not long after I posted. Now I just need to figure out how to tackle the bolts underneath the intake manifold.

·
Registered
341 Posts
After getting the manifold back in, I had vacuum issues, and a local shop ended up redoing the work. Apparently I had out it back on slightly crooked and it ruined the gasket. Trying to get it lined up, even with two people, while tackling the bolts was tough. I also hadn't found this forum yet when I did mine, so hopefully everyone here can help you figure it out. Good luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts