Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news is that I'm getting good at changing power steering pumps.

The bad news is it's because I've had lots of practice. This is the third time in the last year.

:pullinghair: :censored: :puke:

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Well, something isnt right.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed, why are they failing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really don't know what's wrong, but it's fairly frustrating. The first failure I"m willing to put up as old age. It's an '07 with 118k miles, so failures in the moving parts isn't too surprising.

The second failure, was a defective rebuilt pump. It cracked at the seam and started spraying fluid out the side.

Third failure, I'm not sure on the cause. I've got the pump sitting the in the garage now. Is there something I should inspect before I take it back for the warranty refund?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I really don't know what's wrong, but it's fairly frustrating. The first failure I"m willing to put up as old age. It's an '07 with 118k miles, so failures in the moving parts isn't too surprising.

The second failure, was a defective rebuilt pump. It cracked at the seam and started spraying fluid out the side.

Third failure, I'm not sure on the cause. I've got the pump sitting the in the garage now. Is there something I should inspect before I take it back for the warranty refund?

You're scaring me now. I have an '07 with 170k miles. My power steering fails intermittently when the Jeep gets hot. Apparently my PO had the steering box rebuilt, so I'm wondering if the PS pump is getting weak. I think if i replace I'll probably put a PSC pump on. 4 times the cost, but.....

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
It happens. The missus has an '09 with 37x13.50x17 Toyo MTs. Her driving style makes PS pumps cry. She is on her third one. 2nd one sheared the shaft in two. The pulley just pulled out of the pump when I removed the belt. Next up is hydro assist for her. Happy wife...happy life...

Bob

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, something really bad is going on. This p/s pump only lasted about 3 blocks. I guess I'm going to have to take it to my mechanic to see what's causing these failures.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
You're scaring me now. I have an '07 with 170k miles. My power steering fails intermittently when the Jeep gets hot. Apparently my PO had the steering box rebuilt, so I'm wondering if the PS pump is getting weak. I think if i replace I'll probably put a PSC pump on. 4 times the cost, but.....

A PSC pump would do you no good on a rig without hydro assist, it flows too much.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on this. I had the mechanic replace the p/s pump for me again and do a full fluid flush. They didn't find anything else that was a problem. It's been a couple weeks now and it seems to be not failing. Perhaps just doing the flush properly was the magic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts