Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I flushed my power steering today and was very surprised to see that as soon as I started the engine the system spat out a quart of fluid in about 5 seconds, regardless of whether I was turning the wheel or not. I was expecting it to only spit out fluid when trying to turn the steering wheel. Is this normal? Clearly with the rate at which it was moving the fluid, the pump is working ok, so is this indicative of a steering gearbox issue? Also, after flushing the fluid it seemed that the power steering would quit more quickly. Normally it takes quite a bit of driving to get the motor hot enough for the power steering to start to fail.

Any ideas?

Ian

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it seems there may have been some air in the system. I worked the system hard today driving a very winding road and even finding a bit of reasonably hard core off roading that definitely required 4-Lo. It's also a very hot day here (95 at 6pm). Through all that the power steering seemed to hold up well, so maybe this issue is taken care of.

Happy days,

Ian

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Not sure about the wrangler... never worked on the steering but if it's anything like other pumps then it just blindly pumps oil. A valve in the steering box either bypasses the oil back to the reservoir or puts it into action depending on if you're going straight or turning.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it seems there may have been some air in the system. I worked the system hard today driving a very winding road and even finding a bit of reasonably hard core off roading that definitely required 4-Lo. It's also a very hot day here (95 at 6pm). Through all that the power steering seemed to hold up well, so maybe this issue is taken care of.

Happy days,

Ian
Well, it seems I am very premature in my assertion that the power steering was working. It was VERY hot here today (105) and sure enough, my power steering would intermittently fail. Here's the deal:

2007 JKU, 4" lift, 35x12.5 Mud Terrain tires.

Most of the time the PS works perfectly. Sometime, generally when the outside temp is really hot, the PS will simply not work. When the Jeep is rolling it's normally ok, but trying to turn the wheel when stationary just won't happen without a LOT of strength. Revving the motor helps sometimes, just waiting a few seconds helps sometimes. It's the intermittent nature of the issue that has me flummoxed. When I flushed the fluid it sure seemed to be pumping plenty strong, but maybe the pump gives up sometimes. Maybe there's a stuck valve in the steering gearbox. I just don't know.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts