Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 with the 4.2 . I have a strange thing going on with my power steering . I had it in at my buddys shop and asked him to check out my power steering since he was already fine tuning my carb/timing . To my suprise he said it was working fine . (it wasnt when I dropped it off) . a week later it quit again .. now a week after that its working again (who knows for how long) is this just my Pump going bad or ??? .. any suggestions ?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I would say the same as harleydragon, if it isnt a loose belt, then when it is doing it take off the cap and look at the fluid, if it is frothy and pink then the pump is putting alot of air into it and not actually pumping the fluid to where it is needed.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
When my 89 4.2 started doing that it was the power steering pump going. Replaced it along with new lines and it works great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input . Idk why there are some things I put off doing (like swapping the pump) but on the same hand I'll spend hours in the garage doing next to nothing >.>

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the input . Idk why there are some things I put off doing (like swapping the pump) but on the same hand I'll spend hours in the garage doing next to nothing >.>

uh huh , playin with your tool ... dont let your wife or your mom catch ya !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts