Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using a power tank? I was looking at compressors but I like the fact the power tank can air up a tire in under 60 seconds.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I definitely understand the desire for speed a tank affords. But taking 4 mins per tire with a decent compressor isn't a big deal in real world use to me personally. I like the break when coming from a hard wheeling session. Compressors are small, good for a 2 door.

My days are generally 5+ hours at a minimum when I get the Jeep out. A handful of minutes airing is so small in the scheme of things. But I can't knock those who dig the process. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I will start this with saying I have never heard of an air tank exploding in a vehicle, but I am very limited in the on board airtank arena.

I (myself) am very wary of carrying a pressurized tank in the cab of a vehicle. I have seen what pressurized air is capable of doing. The larger the volume or higher the pressure and things get ugly if the tank is ruptured.
I know this sounds like your mom talking, but stuff happens.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
seen this compressed air tank debate a couple times now and the statement that had the biggest impact to me was. "that firemen run into burning buildings with those things strapped to them, and don't think twice about it".

now on the other hand they have no severe risk of puncture, like a roll over could cause. so protection or location would be my priority to make it safer. it'd not be strapped to my roll cage upright where it could easily be bashed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Commercial CO2 tanks, including the little paint ball 20 ounce ones I carry for evening tire pressures, have replaceable safety rupture disks installed. Nice feature and also a mild PITA in the Texas heat, which can cause a ruptured disk. That has happened to me several times, but never when I'm in hearing range. I tend to fill to less than stated capacity to reduce the probability of that happening. Also, it has only happened to the bottle I have mounted on the aft roll bar, which sees some sunlight, never to the bottle carried out of sight in the Mopar saddlebag.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I have a 10 pounder in my Ram for quick low tire fills on the freeway with Trailer. It would be fast fill then off the freeway. That said, for jeep trail use a pump would be just fine. The Powertank will re seat a bead better. The best is just not to need one, but airing down is the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts