Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings
Jeep is 13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, had the heated mirror recall done.
The other day, the front door power windows stopped working while the rears still worked. When I got home, the interior lights would not go out either.

I disconnected the battery negative terminal and when I reconnected it several hours later, everything was back to normal.

I suspect a computer problem and the disconnected battery "rebooted" the computer.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
These weird glitches are known to occur in the JK/U. As you've found, disconnecting the battery usually fixes them.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You don't need to put reboot in quotations, for that is exactly what you are doing in a modern vehicle. There are more dedicated computers in a vehicle today than most people realize. To get away from the computers you have go to YJ prior to 1991.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same exact issue for me last week during AM commute. Nothing had been changed, touched, modified for weeks and it just "happened". Pulled into the toll plaza to flip my quarters in and nothing. Rears worked fine. Got to where I was going and pulled the + terminal off for the day. After work, all was good.

Must be running Windows. :atomic:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Turn car off...restart...problem fixed...

SC

·
Registered
645 Posts
My passenger door power lock sometimes doesn't work. Sometimes won't lock. Sometimes won't unlock. I may try the battery trick. Unplug/replug the harness didn't work. Once it didn't lock and the next time a friend went to open it (before I had unlocked it) the door opened and the alarm went off. Kinda annoying. Oh well, topless weather is starting now so I won't lock them much for the next several months anyway.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Greetings
Jeep is 13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, had the heated mirror recall done.
The other day, the front door power windows stopped working while the rears still worked. When I got home, the interior lights would not go out either.

I disconnected the battery negative terminal and when I reconnected it several hours later, everything was back to normal.

I suspect a computer problem and the disconnected battery "rebooted" the computer.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this

Thanks

Pete
Happened to me on my 2014. Restart engine, worked fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same exact issue for me last week during AM commute. Nothing had been changed, touched, modified for weeks and it just "happened". Pulled into the toll plaza to flip my quarters in and nothing. Rears worked fine. Got to where I was going and pulled the + terminal off for the day. After work, all was good.

Must be running Windows. :atomic:
From what you've described, all is NOT good.
You need to have the dealer address this nonsense, unless there is already a bulletin out, as I write this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My passenger door power lock sometimes doesn't work. Sometimes won't lock. Sometimes won't unlock. I may try the battery trick. Unplug/replug the harness didn't work. Once it didn't lock and the next time a friend went to open it (before I had unlocked it) the door opened and the alarm went off. Kinda annoying. Oh well, topless weather is starting now so I won't lock them much for the next several months anyway.
Is that how you're going to leave it? I think you at least need to go to your local dealer, and complain. Let them know you want your Jeep perfect. As you're waiting at the dealer, park in a conspicuous spot, take out your phone and go all around the outside of your Jeep, filming everything, so they see you doing it. I do this any time I have to take my own car in, for anything.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
On the door, could be that the wire harness is just loose - unplug and replug it firmly.

Windows and probably even doors could also be a fuse going bad. Like a 30 cent fix.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Is that how you're going to leave it? I think you at least need to go to your local dealer, and complain. Let them know you want your Jeep perfect. As you're waiting at the dealer, park in a conspicuous spot, take out your phone and go all around the outside of your Jeep, filming everything, so they see you doing it. I do this any time I have to take my own car in, for anything.
For now, yeah. The driver's door always works. The windows and top are constantly down right now anyway. Who locks the doors like that?

Nah. There's no rush. This jeep is a 2009. I bought it used third party. It is not under warranty. I'm not planning to take it to the stealership for this as I don't have any confidence that they will know how to fix it. They will keep it for an hour, charge me $50 and tell me they couldn't reproduce the problem. And I don't want to pay a hundred dollars for them to try reflashing the computer to see if that works. If i had just bought a new one from the lot with a warranty, then I would take it in for any little thing. But an old one I'm not concerned about perfection. It doesn't burn oil, the top doesn't leak, and it gets 20mpg. As far as I'm concerned, for a jeep, that IS perfection. Lol.

I will replace the fuse though. That is actually not a bad idea. Can't hurt either way.

Since its just the pass side, I'm wondering if its actually a wiring issue to that door. Does anyone know if the drivers and passengers side plugs are interchangeable? And if the keyless lock works with the doors open? Some time I might try swapping the doors and hit the lock unlock repeatedly to see if the problem follows over to the drivers side. Obviously I wouldn't be able to use them that way. But just to rule out half the wiring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts