Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into putting a powered sub under the rear seat of my TJ. I'm going to put new speakers in as well but I'm not worried about that yet. I've been reading posts but havent heard steady reviews. I've heard about the infinity basslink but i want it to be under the rear seat. so that leads me to the

kicker hideawayhttp://www.crutchfield.com/p_20611HS8/Kicker-11HS8.html?tp=114#overview-tab

the kenwood KSC-SW11
Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

the sound ordnance B-8PTD
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

im leaning toward the sound ordnance or the kicker but I'm not too sure. any info and reviews is appreciated

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
There are 50 reviews on the Kicker Hideaway, and 211 reviews on the sound Ordnance, at Crutchfield. Personally, I don't like up-firing subs. You lose too much sound with the top off. And, our Jeeps are best enjoyed with the Top off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You must understand these small powered subs are going to sound the best in your Jeep while the engine is off and the top is on. They're the best way to add bass without taking up much space, but they're a major compromise in output. You may want to consider buying two. Clarion SRV250 is another one worth considering.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Im just trying to save some trunk space and not put a whole box setup in.
I was the same way for over 15 years of having my Jeep(1997 Wrangler Sport). So, I know what you mean. Then, I realized that its such a tiny space anyway. So, after 15 years, I decided to give up my trunk. The compliments on my system and the pure enjoyment of the bass has been worth it. I truly wish that I had done it 15 years ago.

I figured that if I were going to do it, I might as well do it right. So, I got a dual ten inch, downfiring, sub box, that I can take out in two minutes.

If I go camping, I take the back seat out anyway for space. There is no way I could fit all my camping gear in the trunk. If I go shopping, there is no way I could cram even two bags of groceries in my tiny trunk. It's easier to put them in the passenger seat or the back seat. So, for me, it was no real loss of such a tiny space. I just don't know why it took me 15 years. I guess we all just like our space. Good Luck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats a good point. if i can't find anything good with powered subs i might just commit to no trunk. i understand theres not a lot of bass with a powered sub but its better than the center consul one. id really like to hear one in person too

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
thats a good point. if i can't find anything good with powered subs i might just commit to no trunk. i understand theres not a lot of bass with a powered sub but its better than the center consul one. id really like to hear one in person too
They sell many dual 10" subwoofer enclosures on Ebay. Depending on how much volume you want I would do it that way. I have 400-500 watts in my dual 10" subwoofer box. You could add your own speakers and just get the box. Box is $100. 500wattsRMS is the target for the subwoofers,IMHO. Crutchfield sells 250-300wattRMS 10" subs for about $80-90.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_520/Component-Subwoofers.html?tp=111#?nvpair=FFSize|[rank17]10%22&avf=N

Custom Jeep Wrangler 87 06 TJ YJ Dual 10" Speaker Sub Box Subwoofer Enclosure | eBay

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the kicker hideaway under my drivers seat, for me it is a perfect fit.
It really all depends on what you want from your system, I am older and listen to mostly classic rock and that sub rounds out my systems sound very nicely.
If you are after one of those heavy hitting bass sounds then the hideaway may not be for you.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have the kicker hideaway under my drivers seat, for me it is a perfect fit.
It really all depends on what you want from your system, I am older and listen to mostly classic rock and that sub rounds out my systems sound very nicely.
If you are after one of those heavy hitting bass sounds then the hideaway may not be for you.
I agree. I also like classic rock and classic hard rock and classic heavy metal, and I do have to turn down the subwoofer quite a bit for that genre. And I agree, a subwoofer still adds a nice round bottom to even that genre of music. A little bit of subwoofer still goes a long way for even that genre of music.

If you listen to modern hip hop or power pop, then you might want a more powerful subwoofer. I listen to many types so, I like the clean filling power of 2-10" subwoofers for that genre of music.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
id like some good sound but i really only listen to country. I'm just looking for some more bass and I'm thinking a powered sub is the way to go. id rather have a box in the back but i don't think its for me. i use my cargo area pretty frequently

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
id like some good sound but i really only listen to country. I'm just looking for some more bass and I'm thinking a powered sub is the way to go. id rather have a box in the back but i don't think its for me. i use my cargo area pretty frequently
Yeah, I don't think you'll need much subwoofer power for Country Music, or even Southern Rock. A single 8" or 10" subwoofer should be fine for those genres. But, a subwoofer gives much better bass than the basically midrange speaker used in Coaxial or Component speakers.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
For your purposes and considering the price you can always go this route. If it does not produce the base you want you are not out to much money.

With the slime mount woofers now out on the market you can build a very shallow box, approx .50 cubic feet and have a good down firing sub in the 10-12 inch sub size. I am putting a JL 13.5 inch single in my 2 door Rubicon that raises the rear deck 7 inches and still allows for the rear seat and have access to the small storage area.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For your purposes and considering the price you can always go this route. If it does not produce the base you want you are not out to much money. With the slime mount woofers now out on the market you can build a very shallow box, approx .50 cubic feet and have a good down firing sub in the 10-12 inch sub size. I am putting a JL 13.5 inch single in my 2 door Rubicon that raises the rear deck 7 inches and still allows for the rear seat and have access to the small storage area.
Ive seen those slim mount subs and im looking into those. They look great

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the resurrection, but if you didn't get a sub yet, I've been looking at this one. Amazon.com : Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" Flat Subwoofer with Enclosure 800 Watts : Vehicle Subwoofers : Car Electronics It isn't powered, but adding an amp to it would run roughly what the powered units would and probably sound better. It doesn't take up too much space in back and you can still stack stuff on top.
That looks pretty sweet. You could wire an amp into the rear seat or just under it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Note: That sub is 200watts(nominal) or RMS. Not 800watts. And, its no Kicker either. But, it does seem to have some good reviews.
Yeah, it's not really a "power house" as far as subs go, but most powered subs aren't really either. It seems like a decent option to get a little bit of thump in a Jeep.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts