Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm travelling 8 hours to see/inspect/drive and hopefully purchase a 29k mile LJ Rubicon, sight unseen except photos, texts, phone call. I'm feeling the seller is of high integrity, has accommodated me with videos, etc. Still..

I hope to have a couple hours in and under the hood and undercarriage to shake/rattle/roll stuff before I drive but thought I'd spitball here about items you folks might suggest I pay special attention to, or think that should be checked out; you know, simple things that could be overlooked. I'm no rookie except to LJ/TJ specifically. At that mileage (3-owner CA/AZ/OR desert) things should be good to go. I'm told there are no runs, drips or errors so the old semi-myth of drying out gaskets and seals will not pertain (I hope).

There is a RE lift on it and it appears to have quality suspension parts, i.e. Currie, Bilstein, RE...
Death wobble is always a concern when suspension work is done if not done properly. I have no reason to believe that will be the case here but asking when, where, and how it occurs and if there's a test drive situation I should seek out to check it out. RR crossings at speed, washboard dirt roads...?

Thanks for putting up with this. I'll be back to pester everyone one this beast is in my garage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Run the vIN before the visit. I doubt there are any issues with a vehicle having that low mileage. There may be leaky gaskets from sitting.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Run the vIN before the visit. I doubt there are any issues with a vehicle having that low mileage. There may be leaky gaskets from sitting.
Ran the CarFax already. One outstanding safety recall for spring in clutch assembly (NSS).
Clean on all fronts, maintenance records, dealer detailing, no accidents or odometer flags, etc. I asked specifically about runs, drips and she says none. That could change once it gets driven but I'm certainly not going to pass on the deal based on that 'conventional wisdom' conjecture. (Not saying you're saying it, but some seem to think it's ALWAYS the case).
Didn't see a transmission service so will hunt down some true GL4 and get that done along with all the other fluids probably. Don't know the schedule for 6spd service but even with low miles it can't hurt to swap 15 year old lube for new.

3 owners: born in CA, then to AZ (supposedly a rich NFL player owned it - would love to find that provenance and a picture of him with the Jeep) and now in inland OR. Soon to be NE NV. As far as I can tell the engine is bone stock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Check out Redline MTL. It has been very popular for the TJ 6 Speed manuals and people say it shifts super smooth and seem to be happy with it. It is full synthetic GL4...

Widely available too.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out Redline MTL. It has been very popular for the TJ 6 Speed manuals and people say it shifts super smooth and seem to be happy with it. It is full synthetic GL4...

Widely available too.
I've used RedLine motor oil in the past. Will check it out for GL4

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, too many mods to list.
1,407 Posts

Widely available too.
Yes. Shortly after I bought my LJ, same trans, I swapped out the trans fluid as well as some others. The Redline is great for that trans. Trans is not the smoothest, and they do break easily if you get aggressive with them. Gearsets are plenty strong, and it's nice to have 6 choices. Even so, if mine ever fails, I'll swap to the AX-15 and not have to worry about it any longer. So far, I have about 127k on mine with no ill effects.

Reactions: tzukows and NOTNSUV

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
At some pt you will need to check the OPDA for binding. If it is labelled LDI it is the OEM one and will need to be checked.

I've run synchromesh oil in my trans and currently have 230K mi on it, no problems.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At some pt you will need to check the OPDA for binding. If it is labelled LDI it is the OEM one and will need to be checked.

I've run synchromesh oil in my trans and currently have 230K mi on it, no problems.
Is the label ez to see? Not getting my new ride til next week.
Already watched the OPDA video on YT after first reading about it in this forum

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Yes. Shortly after I bought my LJ, same trans, I swapped out the trans fluid as well as some others. The Redline is great for that trans. Trans is not the smoothest, and they do break easily if you get aggressive with them. Gearsets are plenty strong, and it's nice to have 6 choices. Even so, if mine ever fails, I'll swap to the AX-15 and not have to worry about it any longer. So far, I have about 127k on mine with no ill effects.
Just rolled by 225k on my 05 Rubicon 6 speed NSG370 gear box. So far, so good...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I've used RedLine motor oil in the past. Will check it out for GL4

Thanks.
It gets easily confused with the Redline MT-90... I believe what you would want to be looking for is Redline MTL. There is a difference and some people have put the other stuff in by mistake. Not that it would blow the transmission up or anything... The MTL is the correct match for the 6 speeds and these transmissions seem to behave better with the MTL product.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It gets easily confused with the Redline MT-90... I believe what you would want to be looking for is Redline MTL. There is a difference and some people have put the other stuff in by mistake. Not that it would blow the transmission up or anything... The MTL is the correct match for the 6 speeds and these transmissions seem to behave better with the MTL product.
Yup, I noticed that when looking at Amazon. Will buy local if available but it's doubtful. Do we have a sponsoring vendor that carries it?

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts