Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to make sure I'm "doing it right" on a couple of points :D since I always find out later I fell for something I shouldn't have. Hoping to finally "do it right" this time:

1. No extended warranty (probably use GEICO's MBI for ~$70/yr. though)
2. No "protection" or "paint sealer" package
3. Thoroughly inspect vehicle inside & out and check operation of all features as best as possible.......i.e. don't just look for anything glaring like the bumper hanging off or a scratch down the side of the paint.
4. Have TL discount and USAA discount info in hand along with pre-approved credit union loan info in order to get best deal possible
5. Have a Carmax appraisal in case they try to shaft me on the trade in.
6. ???

·
Registered
647 Posts
depending on who you ask some will say to climb under your jeep and search for scratches... then if found claim lemon law on them, check from grab handles and a garment hook in the glove box ive heard from people on here youre supposed to get them (i didnt) but other than that get them as low as you can and be ready to have a smile on your face when you drive away :thumb:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on the grab handles. I saw something about that in a thread just yesterday, though there was some question as to whether that is part of the Sport models as only people with Rubi's and Saraha's had talked about getting them.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Other suggestions:

1. Put it on a rack and walk underneath. Seems like several new owners have found their chassis scratched by shipping hooks or whatever, which could lead to rust or some other unfortunate outcomes.

2. While it's in the air, count the skidplates. I believe the automatic has 3, the manual, 2. You can doublecheck that elsewhere in the forum or through Jeep. Check the thread on P1 of the JK forum on missing skidplates.

3. If you ordered the hard top and the soft top, suggest you have the dealer remove the hard top and take off the soft top, and leave it in your cargo area with the back seats flat. My understanding is that the soft top comes in the car bolted in for shipping, not for customer use. So you'll have to take off the hard top to break loose the soft top. Why not let the dealer do it, and teach you how to take off the hard top while they're at it?

4. The car's supposed to be shipped with 4 grab handles and 2 coat hooks, which usually wind up in the glove box.

I'm looking forward to this drill later this week.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Oh, and as Matador suggested: Do all of the above before signing anything. Sure, it'll hack off the salesman, but that's life in the city.

The basic truth is that before you sign, anything you find that's wrong is the salesman's problem. After you sign, you lose your leverage and it's your problem.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Mel, although I agree that you should carefully look the Jeep over before taking delivery I think having them put it up on the lift to inspect the undercarriage is a bit much. You can easily crouch down and take a quick look for the skid plates and and check if there are any major scratches. Same goes for having them remove the hard top etc. All a bit excessive IMO.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use the check list in this thread when taking delivery, BEFORE signing anything. It may annoy the sales guy having to wait until its complete, but it ensures that you went over everything.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/delivery-checklist-131200.html
Yep, you'll notice I already posted in that thread a while back that the checklist was an awesome looking one and I planned on using it. I was trying to think of things that might not be on it (though it's also admittedly been a while since I looked at what all was on it).

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Mel, although I agree that you should carefully look the Jeep over before taking delivery I think having them put it up on the lift to inspect the undercarriage is a bit much. You can easily crouch down and take a quick look for the skid plates and and check if there are any major scratches. Same goes for having them remove the hard top etc. All a bit excessive IMO.
I thought about it and I agree.

The dealer's happy to put it up on the lift for a walkaround before we close. This is standard practice for me since I had a new car delivered several years ago that turned out to have been wrecked in shipment, and that fact was hidden by the dealer. Overspray anywhere is the big tip-off.

I offered to pay them an hour or two of labor to pop the hard top, unpack the soft top and reinstall the hard top. I'd rather see it done once than figure it out for the first time with my wife in the driveway. Fair is fair.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My dealer refused to take the soft top out and it was really not that hard to figure out for myself. To be honest, in a 2 door I am not sure that it will actually fit with the hard top on.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
My dealer refused to take the soft top out and it was really not that hard to figure out for myself. To be honest, in a 2 door I am not sure that it will actually fit with the hard top on.
Yep, that may be true with a JKU too. But I'll have to make it work, whether it's hanging out the windows or strapped to the hood. I gotta get the bolted in top out real soon because my knucklehead collies need all the room they can get back there.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I'm definitely bringing both my USAA certificate and the TL affiliate one. I have been printing everything out tonight in prep for Monday since my Jeep is in (could be ready tomorrow) but I'm going out of town for 2 days tomorrow and want to be able to run up to the dealer asap when I get back Monday afternoon. As I went to print out the USAA (ZAG program) one, I notice in the fine print the following text............

Offer is additive to most current national, regional and other bonus incentives and is available on Employee Advantage, Dealership Employee Purchase or Affiliate Rewards Program vehicles.

Oh yeah!! So that should be 2% under invoice plus the $1000 extra discount for Jeep and other selected mfr's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts