Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's go-to electrical connector for aftermarket harnesses?

Seems like a lot of people prefer the Weather Pack connectors, but my issue with them is that they don't seem to carry enough circuits for me.

I'm looking at the GT-280, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the other choices; GT-150, MX-150, Metri Pack, Deutsch, etc

Looking for under-hood usage, 18-14 gauge GXL.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All in all, it looks like for my purposes, GT-280 is the way to go. It has the circuit capacity in the amperage capacity that I need.

Weather Pack seems to top out at 6 wires
Metri Pack offers more wires, but only in the 150 series
GT-280 offers the 30 amp capacity in the 10 connector configurations that I need.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. What aftermarket harness are you looking for? I'm guessing for lighting based on the DT connector comment. DT seems to be the most common industry standard.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Seldom use connectors. Most are straight hardwire. For they few, like radios that are removable, I use Anderson PowerPoles. Since they are modular, you do as many circuits as you need. They are expandable for future additions. Not weather proof though, interior connections only. The "big" sizes might be.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. What aftermarket harness are you looking for? I'm guessing for lighting based on the DT connector comment. DT seems to be the most common industry standard.
Started having some electrical issues on my accessories; subwoofer amp, ham radio, CB.

I decided it was time to go the bussman auxilary relay & fuse panel route.

It's also time to clean up the wiring on my switch panel and make it a bit more serviceable.

Just thought making some harnesses for these tasks would make future electrical additions much easier. After all, I have do 3 blank spots in my switch panel! :p

·
Registered
221 Posts
OK, NOW I'm with you. Check out some of the stuff from Blue Sea. They make an excellent series of marine grade fuse blocks that can be had relatively inexpensively.

I'm planning on something similar for the back of the JK. I'm making a mini fuse box that will run straight to the battery for my rear accessories. I plan on using a 4 gang Blue Sea 100amp fuse block, a 4 gang Blue Sea grounding bus bar, and a couple of Bosch relays. I'll wire all of that back to the battery on 4 gauge through that fuse block and ground to the chassis. I have a thread on this topic here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts