Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fully loaded 2013 Rubicon with connectivity group and pretty much everything else I could buy on a custom order. This weekend I was off-roading with friends and one friend has a 10A. My transmission slipped out of drive and he told me to check my transmission temp. This is when I discovered his 2013 EVIC and my 2013 EVIC are not the same. :jawdrop:
Is it possible to update the EVIC software in a "standard" 2013 Rubicon (with connectivity group) to include the "premium" readings that are available in a 10A?

I'd even pay for that upgrade! I know they want the 10A to have some "unique" features, but I understand the 2014's are supposed to be available with the premium EVIC that is in the 10A, so I don't see any reason they shouldn't back-port that upgrade to earlier models that have the connectivity group....

Anyone know?

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Is it possible to update the EVIC software in a "standard" 2013 Rubicon (with connectivity group) to include the "premium" readings that are available in a 10A?
No.

There was some talk about such, and Pat was going to look into it, but nothing ever materialized.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
There is a related thread and as Walt said it is not possible. Unfortunately, it's not just the display, it requires the PCM as a source so without dealer help it will not happen.

·
Registered
347 Posts
No.

There was some talk about such, and Pat was going to look into it, but nothing ever materialized.
The new premium EVIC is the same as the old 10A isn't it? The EVIC on my 14 Rubicon does pretty much everything and I was told it was the highest level one that they made... Isn't that true? If not, what features is it missing?

·
Registered
423 Posts
The new premium EVIC is the same as the old 10A isn't it? The EVIC on my 14 Rubicon does pretty much everything and I was told it was the highest level one that they made... Isn't that true? If not, what features is it missing?
Do the 14 ones have the digital speedo?

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a related thread and as Walt said it is not possible. Unfortunately, it's not just the display, it requires the PCM as a source so without dealer help it will not happen.
For 2013 their is only two evics available to order. With vehicle information screen or w/o vehicle information screen. Their is No seperate listing for a 10a model. So unless someone can show me an additional part number for a 10a premium evic I say its software upgradable:) pcm has nothing to do with it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Yes, the 10A had a "preview" of the then-new Premium EVIC, which later spread across the lineup for 2014.

For 2014, doesn't one have to have the Connectivity Group to get the Premium EVIC?

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
So unless someone can show me an additional part number for a 10a premium evic I say its software upgradable:) pcm has nothing to do with it.
The question really is, can you back up what you say with an actual copy of the required upgrade software?

Because, getting that turned out to the dead-end the last time we talked about this.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yes, the 10A had a "preview" of the then-new Premium EVIC, which later spread across the lineup for 2014.

For 2014, doesn't one have to have the Connectivity Group to get the Premium EVIC?
Gotcha and yes, it is part of the Connectivity package... It is a nice feature and I find myself using it more than I've used OBC's in my past vehicles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The question really is, can you back up what you say with an actual copy of the required upgrade software?

Because, getting that turned out to the dead-end the last time we talked about this.
I'm guessing the 10a evic is exactly the same as a 2014 premium evic. Parts manuals do not show a seperate listing for the 10a cluster though? Getting a hold of a 2014 cluster to test may take awhile. Working now on seeing what we can add to the 2013 premium if anything. Dealers cannot sell you a cluster without it being on the exchange program. Also if if the evic did not come on your vehicle they will not or can not even swap it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
IIRC, when they changed the EVIC for the 10A, all the models with EVIC got the enhanced version, not just the 10A.

But it's been a while, so I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Any update on this? Just went on a European event. I have mph and my friend in a 10A was able to switch his EVICs to show kph !!

Really really useful. I'd sure like to upgrade as I've got several euro tours coming up this year....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I finally located a "premium" 2013 evic. The evic had 40,000 plus miles on it and mine was at 10,000. Instead of waiting I sent it out to have the mileage set at 11,495. I then waited till mine was exactly the same and swapped them out. Everything works fine. I now have individual tire pressure readouts, personnel settings can be changed and even the navigation displays while driving. The real reason I wanted a "premium" was to turn on or off hill assist start as needed. I will now try and see if it's possible to get the 2014 stuff added. May take a while but you never know.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally located a "premium" 2013 evic. The evic had 40,000 plus miles on it and mine was at 10,000. Instead of waiting I sent it out to have the mileage set at 11,495. I then waited till mine was exactly the same and swapped them out. Everything works fine. I now have individual tire pressure readouts, personnel settings can be changed and even the navigation displays while driving. The real reason I wanted a "premium" was to turn on or off hill assist start as needed. I will now try and see if it's possible to get the 2014 stuff added. May take a while but you never know.
So you had to physically replace the EVIC? I'm surprised this isn't software upgradable...

·
Registered
59 Posts
So you had to physically replace the EVIC? I'm surprised this isn't software upgradable...
Yes it's a completely different display on the left side. The standard evic can only display line by line where as the premium evic can display pictures. (Very basic at best though) I'm just hoping the 2013 "premium" will be software upgradable?? As far as I can tell the only difference between 2013 and 2014 premiums is 3 screens. Digital speedo, tranny temp and eng oil temp. The cluster only displays what canbus sends it.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Yes it's a completely different display on the left side. The standard evic can only display line by line where as the premium evic can display pictures. (Very basic at best though) I'm just hoping the 2013 "premium" will be software upgradable?? As far as I can tell the only difference between 2013 and 2014 premiums is 3 screens. Digital speedo, tranny temp and eng oil temp. The cluster only displays what canbus sends it.
Can I ask where you were able to locate the premium evic? Is that an expensive part if you don't mind me asking? I bought my 14 without the connectivity group and added the module and OEM steering wheel controls myself. Just missing the premium EVIC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can I ask where you were able to locate the premium evic? Is that an expensive part if you don't mind me asking? I bought my 14 without the connectivity group and added the module and OEM steering wheel controls myself. Just missing the premium EVIC.
I found a totaled out jeep that had one. They are only $300 new and it's $175 to get mileage corrected to your old one. Dealers will be no help either. Easiest way is to find one from a wreck with slightly higher miles than yours. When yours catches up, swap it in. Problem is these jeeps are too new and usually when there totaled everything is smashed inside the jeep. :-(

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I found a totaled out jeep that had one. They are only $300 new and it's $175 to get mileage corrected to your old one. Dealers will be no help either. Easiest way is to find one from a wreck with slightly higher miles than yours. When yours catches up, swap it in. Problem is these jeeps are too new and usually when there totaled everything is smashed inside the jeep. :-(

Thanks! I'll have to look at a few junkyards.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts