Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted in the soft top sticky but seems no one has responded.

Question for those that have the premium top - Does it come clean after getting mud all over it? I have a premium top I got on CL, no windows, not yet installed. I also have the standard top (complete with windows, installed on the Jeep) but I got mud on it and it won't come clean even with a light power washing. I'm ok with it but if the premium cleans better then I'll swap them. I'd like to sell one of them since I don't need both tops. Is it worth looking for premium windows or just keep using the standard soft top? I do go wheeling and it will get dirty over and over.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I can't say how the premium holds up to mud. I have the standard and I'm happy with it but I'm sure the premium is probably better in most cases. I bought my standard soft top used and the top was pretty dirty. It took a couple of washes with a micro fiber mitt and some meguairs ultimate wash and wax, but it looked brand new. The person I bought off from was shocked how good it looked. I also use meguairs ultimate protectant every so often and it helps keep the top looking great. I have only owned it for a couple months so I'll be trying some different products to see if anything works better. I am sure some of the more experienced members have even better suggestions. Good luck with the mud!

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,021 Posts
Good thread to follow. I'm looking for a good product to remove mud from a standard soft top as well and stories between premium and standard

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I don't have a standard top, but I would certainly think the premium is harder to get clean since it has more texture and is more cloth like. No experiences though, I have not wheeled enough yet to actually get mud on the top.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the standard on my 08 and premium on the 15 and 16. In normal driving, either one is fine to take care of. I really prefer the premium for looks and insulation, just my opinion. If I were a hard core off roader and in mud frequently, I would for sure choose the standard top.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't say how the premium holds up to mud. I have the standard and I'm happy with it but I'm sure the premium is probably better in most cases. I bought my standard soft top used and the top was pretty dirty. It took a couple of washes with a micro fiber mitt and some meguairs ultimate wash and wax, but it looked brand new. The person I bought off from was shocked how good it looked. I also use meguairs ultimate protectant every so often and it helps keep the top looking great. I have only owned it for a couple months so I'll be trying some different products to see if anything works better. I am sure some of the more experienced members have even better suggestions. Good luck with the mud!
Having both tops I can tell you the look and feel of the premium top is well, much more premium, lol. The premium feels like a twill fabric which is more textured (also thicker) and seems like it would be easier for mud and dirt to penetrate. The standard feels like a vinyl and is smoother but gets dirty pretty easily. It feels clean but remains discolored.

Thanks for posting some of the products you use. I'm sure some of them are available locally so I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
<snip> ... meguairs ultimate wash and wax, but it looked brand new. ... I also use meguairs ultimate protectant every so often and it helps keep the top looking great. I have only owned it for a couple months so I'll be trying some different products to see if anything works better. I am sure some of the more experienced members have even better suggestions.
Sorry for the bump of the older thread, but @Jab1719, how has the Meguairs Ultimate Wash & Wax worked for you. I just took off my hardtop today and installed the regular soft top for the first time. I have been using the Meguairs every week on the body and hard top and like it, so would prefer to continue with using it on the soft top too. How is it on the vinyl windows?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sorry for the bump of the older thread, but @Jab1719, how has the Meguairs Ultimate Wash & Wax worked for you. I just took off my hardtop today and installed the regular soft top for the first time. I have been using the Meguairs every week on the body and hard top and like it, so would prefer to continue with using it on the soft top too. How is it on the vinyl windows?
It's been holding up great. No issues so I am just gonna keep using it. I haven't noticed any issues with the windows, I think you just need to make sure you are using a good clean mitt so it won't scratch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts