Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to get your thoughts on whether this is legitimate damage and if so, how I can repair it.

I put the premium soft top on for the first time a week ago and have been very careful about how I fold it so it isn't pinched or anything. It's brand new, fresh out of the plastic. However, it appears that the soft top is ripping already. Very disappointed.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
I haven't taken mine out of the plastic yet either since I got it, been running the hardtop. However, I did take the whole soft top out of the Jeep when I got it, just wondering if you did the same or was it sitting in the Jeep?

I will monitor mine once I get it on and look for damage, but only a week into use I would think you have a legitimate warranty claim against defects in materials or workmanship.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't taken mine out of the plastic yet either since I got it, been running the hardtop. However, I did take the whole soft top out of the Jeep when I got it, just wondering if you did the same or was it sitting in the Jeep?

I will monitor mine once I get it on and look for damage, but only a week into use I would think you have a legitimate warranty claim against defects in materials or workmanship.
Yeah I did remove it when I got it. Just strange that both sides are tearing like that. I can't imagine this thing lasting more than a year at this rate.

Does anyone else have experience repairing this kind of damage? Are you guys finding the same kind of lifespan with your premium soft top?

I bought an older show room Rubicon, so while it only had 5k miles and no owner, the 36k mile warranty is no longer valid given it is a 2014 built in 2013.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a new top on my older rig and I notice it became extremely tight when it was cool ouside. When taking off or putting on I had to wait till the sun heated it up to make it loose. I not sure where you live or how warm it is, but I wonder if temperature has somthing to do with it. That's a bummer, those are expensive.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first time I put it on, I fought for probably 50 minutes to get the latches in place, even with the rear corners off. After a week, it's tight but no trouble. I had read a lot of posts of the first install being difficult with how tight the fabric is.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you had to fight it for 50 minutes to latch it, it's installed wrong. It's now ripped enough that it will latch easier. I would remove it and have a canvas shop resow it.
Agreed, or maybe one of the bows got bent during delivery or some other defect. If it's brand new from Mopar I'd kick it to the dealer so you aren't stuck paying for a replacement out of pocket next year.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you had to fight it for 50 minutes to latch it, it's installed wrong. It's now ripped enough that it will latch easier. I would remove it and have a canvas shop resow it.
Pretty sure its not installed wrong, it's not difficult install. Any ideas on what specifically could be wrong with the installation?

Also, can I ask how long it took you to install yours the first time? Was the soft top not exceptionally tight?

Thanks for the Canvas shop recommendation, i'll check it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pretty sure its not installed wrong, it's not difficult install. Any ideas on what specifically could be wrong with the installation?

Also, can I ask how long it took you to install yours the first time? Was the soft top not exceptionally tight?

Thanks for the Canvas shop recommendation, i'll check it out.

Put mine on last Thursday all by my lonesome. I too struggled with the tightness of the brand new top. Took me over an hour. But that was mainly because of my soft top install virginity. Def won't take more than 20 min next year. As for the rip, it looks like bad stitching. I'd take it the the dealer and look for a warranty claim. Can't hurt to try.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Can't tell from the pictures. I would go to your geographical areas section of the forum and put up a help wanted post, describing the issue. Someone will help, after that you can get the seams repaired. There are also a few good youtube install videos, may be worth 30 minutes or so and watch a few of them. I'd shoot for someone with experience to help out in person. Takes about 40-45 minutes to remove the hard top and install the hard top, I take my time. Latches should reach the footman loops easily with a little tug, at first takes a little effort to close the latch. Good luck, hope you get this straightened out quickly.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah I did remove it when I got it. Just strange that both sides are tearing like that. I can't imagine this thing lasting more than a year at this rate.

Does anyone else have experience repairing this kind of damage? Are you guys finding the same kind of lifespan with your premium soft top?

I bought an older show room Rubicon, so while it only had 5k miles and no owner, the 36k mile warranty is no longer valid given it is a 2014 built in 2013.
If you bought the Jeep from a dealer as a new, never titled vehicle, warranty should still be in effect. You should walk into the service writer's office with a dozen doughnuts and plead your case.

Reactions: Cirdecus

·
Registered
58 Posts
That top looks pretty far from new in just about all of those images. Not trying to call you a liar OP, but if you were told it was new/believe it's new, or otherwise, it looks a bit used to me. Even the door surrounds are worn..?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That top looks pretty far from new in just about all of those images. Not trying to call you a liar OP, but if you were told it was new/believe it's new, or otherwise, it looks a bit used to me. Even the door surrounds are worn..?
Yeah its new, the Jeep actually came with the hard top. I removed it and unwrapped the soft top from plastic myself. It was originally installed in the cargo area along with the hard top.

I DID however, do some pretty heavy off-roading this past week, so the soft top got incredibly dirty with moondust, could just be the lighting that's throwing it off, but the plastic surrounds were in the box, wrapped in plastic with the box sealed as well when i picked it up.

Maybe I didn't have it tied down properly once and it ballooned or something without me realizing it. I just can't imagine it tearing from installation.

In any case, thanks for the advice everyone, i'll start looking for some canvas repair shops and find out what can be done. The tear doesn't appear to affect the weather proofing right now, but after a while, it's going to get worse.

The rip is directly behind the passenger doors at the top of the roof, so if you folded the top back, it would be where the folded top rests just behind and above the rear doors. It's also where the Velcro of the cargo area windows start.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have one that looks similar - small rips on both sides. It's right where the top folds back when in sunrider mode. I'll have to take it in and see what dealer says. Will take some pics tomorrow when it's light out

·
Registered
578 Posts
I hope you are locking the R and L side pins in first when you get ready to install the top back into position. Then I do the rear window first, then the R & L back sail panels, then the side windows. The last thing I do is do the front latches, if you don't have those pins in place before you lock the latches you will never get them latched down. I only have the Premium Soft Top on my JK and I only lower it when we want the top down for the day, so don't have those problems when the top shrinking over a period of time.

trainman

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to get your thoughts on whether this is legitimate damage and if so, how I can repair it.

I put the premium soft top on for the first time a week ago and have been very careful about how I fold it so it isn't pinched or anything. It's brand new, fresh out of the plastic. However, it appears that the soft top is ripping already. Very disappointed.

Thoughts or suggestions?
I have something very similar, mine is not ripped. looks like a designed hole for the sunrider cable.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts