Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new JKUS is on the train, and should be at the dealer next Monday. I'm so ready to get my hands on this thing! I've had a couple of XJ's, but never got beyond a simple spacer lift and some 31's.

This one is getting the royal treatment. After looking at several "kits", I decided there were good and bad about lots of them, but nothing really struck me as perfect (for me). So I am going the Frankenlift route. I think this will be a very effective combo:

ROCK KRAWLER JK FRONT COIL SPRINGS 2.5" - RK03100
ROCK KRAWLER JK REAR COIL SPRINGS 2.5" - RK03101
ROCK KRAWLER REAR COIL SPRING CORRECTION WEDGES - RK02659
JKS Geo Correction Brackets (because nobody else seems to use them)
TERAFLEX JK HD FORGED FRONT ADJUSTABLE TRACKBAR
TERAFLEX JK WRANGLER REAR TRACKBAR BRACKET 2 INCH - 6 INCH LIFT
TERAFLEX JK EXHAUST SPACER KIT FOR 2012-15 DRIVER AND PASSENGER
TERAFLEX JK REAR COIL RETAINER KIT JEEP - PAIR
TERAFLEX JK SPRING RETAINERS - FRONT LOWER
TERAFLEX JK WRANGLER 0 - 3 INCH LIFT FRONT SWAYBAR DISCONNECTS (still on the fence about whether this is the best choice)
TERAFLEX JK WRANGLER BUMPSTOPS - 3+- LIFTS - REAR LOWER PAIR
TERAFLEX JK FRONT UPPER BUMPSTOP 2.75" TALL- PAIR - 1953800
RANCHO JK RS7000MT REAR SHOCK ABSORBER, 4" LIFT - RS7330
RANCHO JK RS7000MT FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER, 4" LIFT - RS7331
JKS JK 2007-15, BRAKE LINE RELOCATION BRACKET - 2290
SUPERCHIPS JK FLASHCAL - 3570
Mammoth Boulder 16x8 wheels
315/75R16 Duratracs

So, that's the plan. It pretty much expends all the extra budget I have available now, so the rear tire carrier will have to wait. Meanwhile I'm getting my wrenches and sockets all polished up...... :drool:

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ForumRunner_20150721_214014.jpg

So here it is. Most of it came tonight in three heavy boxes. Everything is per the build list above, with the addition of the rear sway bar links, which I had forgotten originally. Those came in Friday with the JKS parts and the Flashcal.

5 Mammoth Boulders arrive tomorrow.

So now its all over except for the crying.

And the cussing. And the bleeding. And the beer. And the trips to the auto parts store. And the trips to the hardware store. And the sore back and shoulders.

I can't wait!

Although I'm not quite sure how I'm going to work the chrome fish tail pipes into the equation. I'm sure I'll figure it out...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ForumRunner_20150722_123837.jpg

Fresh back from the body shop. They did a great job with my deer ding. Just the heartburn of a $500 deductible on a vehicle with less than 1000 miles on it.

1st real mod was unspringing the rear head rests so they stay down. Much better visibility out the rear window.

2nd mod. Since it was at the body shop, I had them remove both sides decals instead of replacing the one. Saved me a step!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ForumRunner_20150904_174956.jpg

ForumRunner_20150904_175014.jpg

The crying and the bleeding is over! I'd estimate about 13-14 hours of crawling around in my driveway to get this done. The exhaust spacer install gave me fits! But everything else was about as expected.

Helpful tip. The RK 2.5" front coil does not fit around a Teraflex bump stop extender without some good lubrication and some extreme muscle....

The RS 7000 shocks are very firm, as other people have noted, but the cornering is much improved.

The only items I didn't use from the parts lost in my first post are the front coil retainers and the rear coil correction wedges. I'll make somebody a deal on those.

Now - on to the tire decision!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ForumRunner_20150904_183157.jpg

ForumRunner_20150904_183205.jpg

ForumRunner_20150904_183218.jpg

So I stopped by Discount on the way home from work. The only 315/75/16 they keep in stock is the new ko2. Go figure....

But after I got a close look at it, I'm seriously considering it. It looks good, and the reviews are good. I don't plan to bury myself in a mud bog anytime soon. So, its a contender.

I did measure the tire unmounted. It was almost exactly 33.5" from lug tip to lug tip - which to me is actually perfect, because I was considering 295s as a height compromise. The tread width was 10" as advertised. As reference, the advertised height is 34.5"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh baby! Oh baby!! Oh baby!!!

ForumRunner_20150905_132420.jpg

ForumRunner_20150905_132449.jpg

ForumRunner_20150905_132525.jpg

Pulled the trigger this morning. 315/75/16. They ended up right around 33.25" mounted @ 32psi. Which also jives with the mounted height I've seen for 35x12.5x17. It is 16.5" from the ground to the center of the hub.

I asked them to put the spare in the cargo area, but I'm glad they messed up. For reference, the tire actually fits on the stock carrier and just barely touches the bumper. It does not actually create interference. Wheels are 16x8 Mammoth Boulders with 4.5" backspacing.

As others have said, the pics don't do justice. The tires look awesome in this size. They drive smooth and quiet. So far so good. Now to update the Flashcal!!

ForumRunner_20150905_132539.jpg

ForumRunner_20150905_132603.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They say, if there's no pics - it didn't happen... Well this happened. And this doors off experience may have turned my Jeep lust into a full blown love affair. The weather here has been perfect for the last three days. So I had to un-door. How awesome! It's like motorized therapy.

Alas! I did realize that rearward visibility with the doors off is terrible, so I opted for the JustAddMud mirrors (the ones with the magnets) and their slide in foot pegs as well. Should be here Thursday just in time for rain. :-/. But I'm excited for cool October weather now!

ForumRunner_20150914_214417.jpg

·
Registered
983 Posts
Are you running the JKS rear sway bar end links? If so and if you haven't already, be sure to cut off the extra "threads" on the top of the link where it connects to the sway bar. If you do not it will destroy / rip off your rear brake hard line during large flex situations. (I learned this the hard way this past weekend)
I'm replacing the brake line extension brackets and going to longer rear lines as well as cutting the threads flush with the nut. (Also replacing entire hard line to master)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow that's good to know. I ended up going with Teraflex links, but I looked hard at JKS. I am running JKS brake line extenders as well as their geometry correction brackets.

·
Registered
649 Posts
She's coming along nicely. Enjoy the build process, even the tiny modes make it fun! I love the sticker! I have Darth Vader floor mats from thinkgeek.com someone got me last Christmas :p

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She's coming along nicely. Enjoy the build process, even the tiny modes make it fun! I love the sticker! I have Darth Vader floor mats from thinkgeek.com someone got me last Christmas :p
That's awesome! I almost bought some of those Vader mats but decided to go for slush mats instead.

This build process has been lots of fun. I've missed having a project to tinker with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts