Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of calipers for my TJ that I was going to put on soon and wanted to paint them.

What would the best process be for prepping calipers for paint? Keep in mind, they are not currently on the Jeep and I'll be putting new pads on them when they go on the TJ.

·
Registered
366 Posts
plug off anything that recuires sealing like the spot where the line bolts to it, pull outthe bleeder screw and cover the boots for the pistons, and paint.. unless you want to tear them down

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purely cosmetic. :)

My canyon wheels let the brake calipers be seen rather easily. I was going to paint them yellow to go along with the OME stuff I have on the TJ.

Scout, thanks for the link.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
I'm here to help. :D

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
just remember that brake fluid will strip paint so quick it'll make your head spin. so be careful anytime your messin with the brake lines

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point. I was going to use the paint specifically for calipers and I'd at least HOPE they considered that, but I've noted that as well.

·
Banned
1,489 Posts
I painted my calipers. Use a can of brake cleaner on each one to get em nice and clean, then paint on Caliper paint with a brush. Takes a little time but then so does covering everything and spraying.
I got some nice caliper stickers for mine too, looks nice

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, now I need to decide color.

I have the Canyon wheels. My TJ is green, and my suspension (shocks) are yellow.

Should I go with red or yellow? If I go with red, I could paint em on my non-Jeep too, but yellow would match my suspension stuff.

What do y'all think?

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Yellow. :D

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yellow was my first choice too, but my other car is silver and red calipers would look sweet. :)

I was hoping to find it locally, but the auto shops here only seem to have red, black, and grey/silver (like aren't they this color already?).

I'll keep looking though

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any difference between brake caliper paint and engine enamel paint?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would go with yellow. Red would look too Christmassy. :D

Check out e-bay for caliper paint. You can find just about any color you want.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
i know that the company that makes por 15 sells a product called marine clean and it works damn good at cleaning the area being painted and leaves no film or residue behind. i used it when i painted the frame on my cj-5.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Damn that is sexy! I like the yellow! :D:D:D

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It'll go well with my OME stuff. Once I have the OME steering stabilizer, it'll be lotsa yellow. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts