Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to re-gear my 14 JKU from 3.73 to 4.56 and install ARB lockers. I went to a 4x4 shop in New Jersey to price it and the guy wants $2400 just for gears (parts plus labor) and that is with a 20% discount on labor. With the lockers and the compressor i am looking at $5200 bill. Does the price seem reasonable or am I being overcharged?

Thanks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That's what i thought, cause i do remember talking to the guy about a month and a half ago and he was telling me $1200 for both axles and today he said that price is just for one. If anybody knows a good 4x4 shop in the NY/NJ area could you let me know please. Thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks. That's what i thought, cause i do remember talking to the guy about a month and a half ago and he was telling me $1200 for both axles and today he said that price is just for one. If anybody knows a good 4x4 shop in the NY/NJ area could you let me know please. Thanks
Sounds like he's trying to pull one over on you... Don't do business with that guy. Also, try posting in the regional section. They'll probably know of a reliable and good shop.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Thanks. Will do
Also, consider checking in on local or regional 4x4 clubs. They're a great resource for finding local shops you can rely on.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If you add up the cost for the parts, you will find out that the parts alone cost about $3000.

I paid $5000 to have 4.56 gears and OX lockers installed. Probably a little high, but not outrageous in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
There is a place near me that advertises regears for $1000, but I wouldn't trust them. They have a reputation for using used parts and they leave their shop doors open and let the dust from the gravel parking lot blow inside. That doesn't mean there aren't good deals out there; I just didn't find one I was comfortable with. Most good shops were $1600 for a regear.

Then if you add selectable lockers, that adds about $1100 per axle in parts. So, you are at least $4000.

I would be hesitant to use a shop that says they will regear and add selectable lockers for less than $4000.

Of course YMMV....

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a place near me that advertises regears for $1000, but I wouldn't trust them. They have a reputation for using used parts and they leave their shop doors open and let the dust from the gravel parking lot blow inside. That doesn't mean there aren't good deals out there; I just didn't find one I was comfortable with. Most good shops were $1600 for a regear. Then if you add selectable lockers, that adds about $1100 per axle in parts. So, you are at least $4000. I would be hesitant to use a shop that says they will regear and add selectable lockers for less than $4000. Of course YMMV....
The thing that concerns me is that the guy is trying to charge me $2400 ($1200 per axle) for re-gearing and that is with a 20% discount on labor! seems a bit overkill to me.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The thing that concerns me is that the guy is trying to charge me $2400 ($1200 per axle) for re-gearing and that is with a 20% discount on labor! seems a bit overkill to me.
I don't disagree. I think $4000-$4500 is more reasonable, but must admit I paid $5000 for similar work. Seemed high to me at the time too, but didn't find another shop I wanted to let touch my jeep. The only difference was my lockers are OX and you are planning on ARB (parts cost is about the same.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Price will vary, but the OP's est is way to high...
Rearlocker is 1000-1200 withthe compressor
gears 1200 f/r
labor 1400 for it all...

so 3500 to 4000 is a good ball park...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a great shop in Portchester. Took me from 3.21s to 4.56s with LSD in back. Also did my lift. Several thousand miles and no issues. PM me of you want info.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
You should be in the $1000-$1500 range for gears...the ARB locker is $1000 or so (part itself) but the installation should be cheap or free (not counting running airlines) because its a direct swap for the OEM carrier. Call Globex in Tom's river and see what they quote you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
one shop:

$945 for parts and labor (that was with a minor install kit)

Another shop wanted $1400 for the same

Last shop (well, my second quote) was $2300...with me supplying the gears.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts