Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon (or good morning!)

I am a servicemember in the UK looking to purchase a 2012 JK Sport S through the Exchange Overseas car sales folks. Been negotiating/discussing a beautiful silver Wrangler that's been on base here for about a month. Got a quote today; was hoping to share with you guys to seek your input. Keep in mind that, being overseas for the next couple or three years, I can avoid sales tax through this organization. Also, the salesman assures me that the UK Chrysler dealerships will honor the factory warranty for a US-spec Wrangler (which seems legit coming from a guy trying to sell me some kind of extended warranty as well).

Here's the bottom line: I'm looking at $27,278 out the door.

Options follow:
automatic
3.73 axle
anti-spin differential
Infinity sound
Black appearance group (I wouldn't have ordered this... but it looks really sharp!)
smoker's group (don't smoke, but it's there)
Deep tint sunscreen windows

When I "build" that Wrangler on the Jeep website, it comes out to $28,233... I figure that a thousand less than that, even after the dealer's fees, registration, etc., is pretty solid.

All that said -- I have thick skin and would appreciate any feedback you can provide! All I can promise in return is pics on Tuesday if I decide to pull the trigger. :thumb:

THANK YOU!!!!
Jay

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well for what it's worth I ordered a 2013 and picked it up a few months ago. Went through USAA car buying service and paid roughly $25500 out the door. It's a JK Sport S with 3.73, anti-spin, Alpine upgrade, auto, AC, Power windows and locks, towing package. Now mine is a soft top and you didn't specify what this one is. If it's a hard top add that to my total and you're still less than what you're looking at. But, I don't know what it would take to get a 2013 in the UK sooooo...do your research, look at USAA (not only did I get a great price I got 1.25% interest), and see what you can come up with. Either way, good luck with a new Jeep!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
$27,024 is the invoice for that jeep. Usually you can get 1-2% below invoice if you're in a strong haggling position (which you should be because this is a '12). So a fantastic price would be $26,483, not including licensing.

However, that jeep is already overseas, so $27,278 out the door is pretty good. I guess the Road tax on that is going to be pretty bad though. Like 400 pounds+? My honda civic was 200 pounds/year.

Good luck!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Curious how that works? Obviously it's tax exempt or tax free? Do you have special plates to drive around the UK or a Carnet de Passage (guarantee to export the vehicle at the end)? I ask because just checking a UK Jeep dealers site, man, their prices are out of control, 2 door Rubicon is 45,000 USD (converted from GBP).

What's the control there so that you can't sell it locally once you leave?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
positrak said:
Curious how that works? Obviously it's tax exempt or tax free? Do you have special plates to drive around the UK or a Carnet de Passage (guarantee to export the vehicle at the end)? I ask because just checking a UK Jeep dealers site, man, their prices are out of control, 2 door Rubicon is 45,000 USD (converted from GBP).

What's the control there so that you can't sell it locally once you leave?
Great question... Military members are entitled to tax free goods & services, but I don't know about controls to prevent us from flipping to a local national. Maybe the vehicle registration folks can see that no VAT was paid on the original purpose (?). After that, it's similar to a UK vehicle... UK tags, and have to spend a couple hundred pounds to make it UK road legal.

No matter... I have no plans to part with this one any time soon. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try kbb.com and find the invoice. I just picked up a 2012 and got it about 10% below their cost because it was the last 2012 on the lot. It's totally negotiable and I got a better deal then AAA, my credit union and Cosco's buying services. So haggle and be willing to walk away if its not good enough.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think it sounds like a good deal. All of these other posters are talking about haggling because it's a 2012 and the fact that "invoice is this" failing to remember that that particular Jeep is already in the UK and there is no telling what it cost to ship one there from Toledo. Shipping anywhere in this country from Toledo is $995, who knows what the actual cost is to get one shipped overseas. That price sounds OK (not great, not even good, but nobody is sticking it to you) here in the US, I would imagine there is a premium to pay to get one over there. If a Rubi is $45K, then a Sport with options for $27K sounds good to me.

BTW, Thanks for your service on this 11th Day of the 11th Month.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plasticpirogue said:
I think it sounds like a good deal. All of these other posters are talking about haggling because it's a 2012 and the fact that "invoice is this" failing to remember that that particular Jeep is already in the UK and there is no telling what it cost to ship one there from Toledo. Shipping anywhere in this country from Toledo is $995, who knows what the actual cost is to get one shipped overseas. That price sounds OK (not great, not even good, but nobody is sticking it to you) here in the US, I would imagine there is a premium to pay to get one over there. If a Rubi is $45K, then a Sport with options for $27K sounds good to me.

BTW, Thanks for your service on this 11th Day of the 11th Month.
Sorry for the late update - but it's done! Not quite as expected though... turns out I can ship a vehicle from the states for free through the military (since I didn't bring one when I PCSed this summer). So instead if the dealer passing on that cost to me, I am shipping the exact same vehicle from stateside. Bottom line, I got out of there for $26,014. I am beyond excited, even if it means I have to wait a couple more months.

Pics of the local one attached... It's identical to the one being shipped!

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the same rig as that to a t, just yours is a year newer. Congrats on the purchase buddy. Love mine..any plans for upgrades?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No major upgrades planned (I feel like everyone on the forums just drooped their shoulders and sighed in sadness)... I will be doing much more driving on roads to work and my boys' soccer--er, football--practice than rock crawling.

With that said, a couple of things I am Jonesing for are (1) removable mirrors for when I go doorless next summer (in the next few months) and (2) different fenders (in the next couple of years). Need to keep my eyes peeled for the fenders and figure out what I like though... just something a little more streamlined and less plasticky. I've seen some sharp ones that have a smaller profile and visible bolts that I think look pretty sharp.

For now, I'm just worried about getting my customs paperwork knocked out so I can get her on a ship!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm not sure what the tax laws are today, but it used to be the case that if you import a new vehicle directly into the UK you had to export it or pay taxes after something like 18 months. What the military sales used to do was have the vehicle delivered in Germany and you pick it up there (this was all included in the price). I caught a flight then train to Bremmerhaven from the UK and picked up my new vehicle along with a bunch of other excited Americans. I then drove it back to England (via ferry) and registered it on the base. Since it was registered in Germany first, I was able to keep it in the UK indefinitely without paying VAT, as long as I was eligible for a tax-free vehicle.

I left there in 2000, so things may have changed...but back then you had to get the new vehicle inspected before you could register it (I used to inspect them). Here's what you needed back then as part of the SOFA with the UK:
- headlights had to be adjusted to the left and had to have the "E" stamp for European approval. We made a tool that would melt an "E" into the headlight lens since many US spec vehicles didn't have a British equivalent.
- front parking/running lights had to be clear in color (no amber visible other than turn signals)
- side amber turn signal required on the front (convert parking/running light)
- rear turn signals (used to use the reverse lights and paint with a translucent orange paint)
- rear fog light required mounted in the center or right hand side. This is a 21watt (same intensity as brake lights) and must include a lighted switch inside (could wire into front fog lights)

Good luck and thanks for your service!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting... I avoid the UK's value-added tax and US sales tax, but I will have to pay the "road tax" to operate the vehicle. The govt reimburses me for one vehicle per year.

Definitely going to have to do the whole light conversion & inspection.... Will run me about £200.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts